Etape Caledonia Sabotaged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
My wife had a late start time and got to the bottom of the hill - schiehallion to find they had closed the route. She waited for about 90 mins before the ride was allowed over the hill and then she got a puncture on the descent. She was a little annoyed by it all. Chatting to people at the finish, it seems that a very few got through unscathed and most had mutiple puntures. Even when they were past the 'tacked' area, confidence was not high to push the pace up.

gavintc

Guru
I presume that in some of the highland villages, inbreeding must be a problem and the idiots will find something to amuse them.

snorri

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
I presume that in some of the highland villages, inbreeding must be a problem and the idiots will find something to amuse them.
Perhaps it is visitors to the area making comments like that that have led to todays incident.:becool::sad::wacko:

gavintc

Guru
snorri said:
Perhaps it is visitors to the area making comments like that that have led to todays incident.:becool::sad::wacko:

Alright I was being facetious, but the anger at having the ride ruined by some idiots was apparent at the finish.

dodgy

The worry now is that anti-cyclists who have seen just how effective a few buckets of carpet tacks can be might take to their local cycleways to cause some hassle. As Crackle said, it's happened around our way, the Wirral Way has been 'tacked' at least once. The local rangers told my wife they had 2 dogs in with tacks embedded in their paws :becool: The ones that got dropped around here were galvanised steel ones, so they won't even rust away.

dodgy

Well spotted :becool:

ACS

Legendary Member
The direct action by a few 'locals' appears to have had the desired effect, maximum publicity for their cause, approximately 3500 disaffected participants and a massive shadow cast over the security of the event in the future. I understand a small (but misguided) part of the local community was campaigning against road closures so that the event could take place reasoning that the lack of access would hinder tourist accessing the area. How this can be reconciled with money spent locally by 3500 cyclist descending on the area beggars belief.

By nature cyclist are conservative (note small ‘c’) in nature but I feel that we also have the right of protest or is that simply to radical?

Once again the actions of a small idiotic minority has spoiled a great day for the majority. I am digusted by their behaviour and cannot believe their stupidity and potentially life-threatening actions.

I hope that this doesn't deter the organisers from running this event next year

If you were looking for a gesture to show the idiots that we don't bow to (I'm about to invent a new term here) 'playground terrorism' someone could always arrange a Critical Mass ride in the area....

ACS

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
If you were looking for a gesture to show the idiots that we don't bow to (I'm about to invent a new term here) 'playground terrorism' someone could always arrange a Critical Mass ride in the area....

Depending on the date (holiday pending) and to support the future of the this excellent event I'm in...........

satans budgie said:
Depending on the date (holiday pending) I'm in...........

...oh, hold on a minute! I'm not organising it! Just planting a seed of an idea. I'm not sure if it is a good or a bad idea. We wouldn't want to upset the locals that currently support the idea. It's maybe worth debating though.

ACS

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
...oh, hold on a minute! I'm not organising it! Just planting a seed of an idea. I'm not sure if it is a good or a bad idea. We wouldn't want to upset the locals that currently support the idea. It's maybe worth debating though.

:biggrin:

Just the devil in me. I agree with you, debate is necessary but I bet your heart missed a beat

:hello: ;)

Top Bottom