Etape Caledonia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fisha

Guru
Last year, it said it was open to 2500 entrants.

I think the first 1000 or so would be guaranteed entries, and then anyone beyond that would go into a lucky dip entry should the numbers reach beyond 2500.

I dont think they'll reach that number personally, but with a 1000, it'll be a good number of people there.

Last year, apart from the registration, the actual marshalling for the start was well organised I thought. I like the way they brought you forward in groups into pens. Worked really well I thought.

mcd

papercorn2000 said:
Are they happy to let you do it on a "funny" bike? There was a big list last year of things that were not acceptable!

Still, I will look out for you all, I'll be in the EK jersey and hoping to make the first page of the results this time!

They had no problem with funny bikes / recumbents - but then I didn't come in first - that would have made things interesting afterwards!

What's EK - East Kilbride?

fisha

Guru
I asked the guys why they didn't want things like TT bars on. His response was a variety of reasons along the lines of:

- arguably less control regarding reach for the brakes in an emergency
- the longer TT bars protruding further forward over the front wheel had more ability to spike the rider in front's lower back should there be a crash when in large groups. ( MTB bar ends tend to sit further back behind the front wheel, so less an issue )

Other than that though, they seemed ok about all shapes and sizes of bikes.

mcd

lifeson said:
Does anyone who has done the course before have a Garmin crs file?
I've got a .tcx file (TrainingCenterDatabase xml) of the second half (just before the bottom of the main climb) if that's any use.

jags

Guru
anybody know would it be possible to drive this route maby as the broom wagon,thing is im entered but i dont think i'll be ready to ride it im still recovering from broken collar bone ,im not really keen on going only because i cant ride but my friend's insist i go .any thoughts thanks

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Just noticed a few changes to the arrangements from last year:

1. Earlier start times by approximately an hour. Now leaving between 7am and 8am

2. You don't need to show your bike to register.

3. Registration was supposed to be open til 10pm on the day before. Now it seems it will close at 8pm.

You can now pick up your start time on the event website.

Alves

I am off at 7am, yikes, an early start with a fast group. Last year I managed to keep up till the last feed station and then had to stop for a pee and got dropped and enjoyed the last 20 miles totally alone which was a strange experience and a little surreal. Getting cheered on by roadside spectators, I didn't know whether to smile, laugh or cry with emotion!
Lesson, don't stop unless you absolutely have to and don't drink so much, it was quite cold and wet last year and i think I overdid the hydration.
Good luck to everyone else, should be a blast agian. The ride down from the last feed station on closed roads was fantastic.
Watch out for the downhill double bend before you get to Rannoch and a bridge on a hairpin about 4 or 5 miles out.

Alves said:
I am off at 7am, yikes, an early start with a fast group. Last year I managed to keep up till the last feed station and then had to stop for a pee and got dropped and enjoyed the last 20 miles totally alone which was a strange experience and a little surreal. Getting cheered on by roadside spectators, I didn't know whether to smile, laugh or cry with emotion!
Lesson, don't stop unless you absolutely have to and don't drink so much, it was quite cold and wet last year and i think I overdid the hydration.
Good luck to everyone else, should be a blast agian. The ride down from the last feed station on closed roads was fantastic.
Watch out for the downhill double bend before you get to Rannoch and a bridge on a hairpin about 4 or 5 miles out.

Well done Alves, likewise I am also in the first group away at 7 am, should hopefully ensure a fast time (if I can keep with the pack on the hill)

I would reiterate the point about the bad bend,take great care.

Rab said:
Well done Alves, likewise I am also in the first group away at 7 am, should hopefully ensure a fast time (if I can keep with the pack on the hill)

I would reiterate the point about the bad bend,take great care.

I think they're looking after their previous clients here. I finished within 6 minutes of you at Applecross yet am seeded 1300 places behind you. A certain Mark Beaumont (who I think got the miles in this winter) is seeded to start within a couple of minutes of me too. Get well tucked in and enjoy the ride, Rab.

wakemalcolm said:
I think they're looking after their previous clients here. I finished within 6 minutes of you at Applecross yet am seeded 1300 places behind you. A certain Mark Beaumont (who I think got the miles in this winter) is seeded to start within a couple of minutes of me too. Get well tucked in and enjoy the ride, Rab.

WM

I think they seeded on last years times of the EC.

I was lucky last year as I jumped on to a good fast group for the last 20 miles or so and finished 98th - way higher than I should be finishing (as you well know :biggrin:)

Hopefully catch up with you at some point

Top Bottom