Etape Caledonia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
gavintc said:
Hey good effort guys. I missed the 4 hr mark by 4 mins 9 seconds. I think I started a little too cautiously. But, I was pleased overall with the ride and really enjoyed the day (until I got the phone call from my wife).

Good effort Gavin too, well done sir

You guys are obviously a bit racier than me xx( @ 4:26
Still pleased with the effort though
Started too cautiously not knowing what to expect of the climb but in the end it was nothing to worry about.
It was the little hills at the end that killed me :rolleyes: especially the short steep climb after the left turn on the bridge, totally unexpected, wrong gear had too push really hard to maintain momentum and gave myself cramp
Had a good run to the end with a big guy in pink kit with a lime green bike :blush: and was determined to beat him
Views up the Loch was one of thoose moments I'll remember forever.

Sorry to hear about mrs GavinTc
Only saw one rider down, on the flat, no bends must have had a coming together :sad:

Did anyone see the protester at about 60 miles with a banner saying his business had lost £5000 to the etape?
What kind of business does he run that makes £5000 between 9 and 12 on a sunday morning in the middle of nowhere?

Great event especially when the Mavic support car came past whilst we were in a fast group towards the end

Saw HLab at the end with his C Chat jersey on

gavintc

Guru
Alves said:
there's a local on Bike radar protesting about the road closures and getting a verbal pasting later on.
His comment at the bottom of the page here http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12570018&start=30
gets a riposte or 4 on the next page.
Gavin is your wife OK now? I'll refrain from asking about the state of her bike:ohmy:

Yes, I was restrained enough myself to ask how she was before asking about the bike. She has a lovely red gravel rash from thigh to knee and again on the calf. Her shoulder hurts like hell - and she is making me do all the cooking and ironing She spent the day in bed but is going to work tomorrow.

As for the bike, I think she got away with some scratches on the carbon Pinarello and ripped bar tape. Not bad considerng she was travelling at 20-25mph when she touched the wheel of the guy in front. The bike is being checked over at the LBS - I just hope the frame is OK. :blush:

gavintc said:
Did you have number in the 600's and wearing a Cycle Chat top. I think I saw you at the end walking back toward the car park. I did not come over and chat as I was waiting for an ambulance to deliver my broken wife. She had a pile up at the 70 mile point and took severe road rash and a suspected broken collar bone (Perth Royal later confirmed it was not broken, but badly bruised). She was a little upset as she was riding well and made a momentary mistake touching the wheel in front.

It was a cracking ride - loved the closed roads.
That was probably me, I was wearing 623. Glad your wife is not too badly hurt, I hope she gets well soon. I met Lifeson at the end too. :blush:
It was a great ride and even with my nervous descending I managed 4:21:56 (18.6mph); I was fairly lucky I did about 65 miles on my own then some nice chap asked me if I like to draft him as he had been drafting me and then after a few rotations we got usurped by a group and we tagged on.
I only saw one protester one lonely old lady standing at the bottom of her garden with a placard. The local newspaper (the courier) said there was 6000 spectators and the winning time was under 3:40:becool:

Wul

Gavintc - it must have been your wife zoomed past me and Tete in the Ambulance - hope she recovers quickly.

Well I beat my time from last year by 12mins so was well chuffed. Really enjoyed the event again, weather was kind to us but still chilly in the shade.

However - a gripe. Is it just me or should people who draft you for a few k's without asking/saying not at least acknowledge you when they blast past you - happened at least half a dozen times and by the end was getting on my nerves. Even a "a'right" would suffice.

Wul said:
However - a gripe. Is it just me or should people who draft you for a few k's without asking/saying not at least acknowledge you when they blast past you - happened at least half a dozen times and by the end was getting on my nerves. Even a "a'right" would suffice.

I know what you mean, I was glad when the umteenth rider to draft me asked me if I wanted to tuck in behind him for a bit xx( instead of zooming by.

Alves

The photos are online now http://www.sportcam.net/site3/public/search.php?event=804
memo to self, must remember to smile through the pain xx(

gavintc

Guru
I was lucky and managed to get into a number of groups. I shared the load. On one occasion when I was on my own, I looked around to see a tail of 8 riders. After a few hundred yards, I decided to swing off, slow down and took my place in the group. We worked as a team until a faster group came through and I jumped on their tail. It worked well for me - got a pretty good time and I felt that I benefited overall from drafting as I was able to pull away on the final hill.

I agree with Alvres - must remember to smile in the final run in. I felt like death on the final rise after the railway bridge and the camera caught my expression. I thought that last 300m was a killer.

Likewise, I tried to share the load, did my stint at the front, chainganging etc, hardwork but for the greater good timewise ;)

Had one or two drafters when I was out of the groups, but generally they were willing to share and work together.

And add me to the list of grimaced photo's - brings the pain all flooding back

Alves

I'm 75 not my age............ though it looks like it should be.
I thought my Tunnocks Tea Cakes jersey from www.thecyclejersey.com was a pretty cool post ironic humourous sort of thing but it was conspicuous in being the only one remotely like it in my bunch (nice lads and one lass one and all) who all wore team or club jerseys or the occasional Rapha high end kit. My steel bike (15 years old) was a little old fashioned too among all that Carbon.
I felt like an old Labrador among a pack of sleek greyhounds

mcd

Top ride - I was a lot closer to 4 hours than I was expecting given the amount of preparation I'd put in (40 miles and 70 miles on a different bike!). Apart from drinking too much before the start & a mechanical towards the end, everything was perfect - the weather, the organisation and the other riders. The views over Loch Tummel and first view of Loch Rannoch were picture postcard. Number 1422 - a few photos of me being obscured by my handlebars & knees.

Top Bottom