Etape Caledonia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alves

"I'm staying at my sister's house in Perth on the Saturday night. How long should I give myself on Sunday morning for getting up to Pitlochry, getting parked and getting organised?"
It usually takes about 40 minutes to do Perth to Pitlochry but you'll need to park your car at the Recreation Ground (or that's where it was last year) and that's about 1/4 mile from the start.
Getting there early would seem like a good idea, there's plenty to see at the start and you can get a coffee or tea and a comfort stop (sorry lapsed into Transatlantic) while you're hanging around.
I'd leave at least 1 hour before, for a tense journey and 1 1/4 hours before for a relaxed one.

Good luck

Just a quickie to say good luck to all those entered for this

Looks like the weather is not going to be too bad :evil:
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=pitlochry&day=2

Although it might be abit nippy first thing.;)

Alves

The BBC weather gives a minimum low temp of 1 C overnight so I'll be taking arm and knee warmers along to begin with.
The Scotsman has a letter in today moaning about the road closures which I have replied to. and The Courier (Tayside's paper) has an article about a failed last ditch attempt to derail the road closures on legal grounds.
It's only for 3 hours, a few motorists take a back seat to 2000+ cyclists for a change was the jist of my replies to the Editors. I've had one letter published last year! I don't usually do this I hasten to add, it just helps me to cope. Don't tell my wife for gawds sake.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

I think arm and leg warmers and a short sleeved top are the call (with bibshorts). Still considering whether to take my jacket or not. It annoys me when I'm not wearing it but it saved me last year.

Cyclechat jersey will be on though ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
HLaB said:
All registered, 7:08 start, now to attach the stickers, attach "on the front of the helmet" but that blocks the vents :wacko:. I can't bear the thought of putting a number on my back too as that means I've got to put holes in my CC top :wacko:

A couple of pin holes will not harm the top, good luck to you and all the CC riders, wish I was there as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This event was Ace, thoroughly enjoyed it, although feel totally knackered today.

Beat last years time by exactly 4 minutes :laugh:

Despite the negative press reports, the support from the locals was impressive, lots of cheering and clapping

Would highly recommend (despite the high entry cost)

gavintc

Guru
HLaB said:
All registered, 7:08 start, now to attach the stickers, attach "on the front of the helmet" but that blocks the vents :laugh:. I can't bear the thought of putting a number on my back too as that means I've got to put holes in my CC top :biggrin:

Did you have number in the 600's and wearing a Cycle Chat top. I think I saw you at the end walking back toward the car park. I did not come over and chat as I was waiting for an ambulance to deliver my broken wife. She had a pile up at the 70 mile point and took severe road rash and a suspected broken collar bone (Perth Royal later confirmed it was not broken, but badly bruised). She was a little upset as she was riding well and made a momentary mistake touching the wheel in front.

It was a cracking ride - loved the closed roads.

gavintc said:
Did you have number in the 600's and wearing a Cycle Chat top. I think I saw you at the end walking back toward the car park. I did not come over and chat as I was waiting for an ambulance to deliver my broken wife. She had a pile up at the 70 mile point and took severe road rash and a suspected broken collar bone (Perth Royal later confirmed it was not broken, but badly bruised). She was a little upset as she was riding well and made a momentary mistake touching the wheel in front.

It was a cracking ride - loved the closed roads.

Sorry to hear about your wife Gavin, would have been a sore one at the 70 mile point - speeds were quite high there.

Alves

Well done for breaking the 4 hour mark - this was my target too, I missed it by 7 seconds :laugh::biggrin: grrrrrrrrr

gavintc

Guru
Rab said:
Sorry to hear about your wife Gavin, would have been a sore one at the 70 mile point - speeds were quite high there.

Alves

Well done for breaking the 4 hour mark - this was my target too, I missed it by 7 seconds :laugh::biggrin: grrrrrrrrr

Hey good effort guys. I missed the 4 hr mark by 4 mins 9 seconds. I think I started a little too cautiously. But, I was pleased overall with the ride and really enjoyed the day (until I got the phone call from my wife).

Top Bottom