Etape Caledonia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Alves said:
I'm 75 not my age............ though it looks like it should be.
I thought my Tunnocks Tea Cakes jersey from www.thecyclejersey.com was a pretty cool post ironic humourous sort of thing but it was conspicuous in being the only one remotely like it in my bunch (nice lads and one lass one and all) who all wore team or club jerseys or the occasional Rapha high end kit. My steel bike (15 years old) was a little old fashioned too among all that Carbon.
I felt like an old Labrador among a pack of sleek greyhounds

Were you parked in the car park just under the bridge and to the left?
I saw a couple of guys wearing the teacake jersey there whilst I was getting changed in the cold

kennykool

I took part in the Etape on Sunday - my first proper bike ride/race. I got my new Trek 1.5 for my 30th Birthday in December after years of watching the Tour and reading Lance Armstrong books. Thought it was time to do something about it so have been riding since early March so was happy with my time of 4hours 51....need to focus on climbs when training next year as that is where i lost time.

The Etape was perfect for me as I live in perthshire about 40 miles from Pitlochry. Didn't know what to expect and was truly overwhelmed by the whole thing.

I am still buzzing today by it so much so I searched google for forums on the event and found this one....roll on next year.

Can anyone help me with what I do now after taking part in the Etape - i'm signing up for London - Paris next year but need something else to do in the meantime!!!!!!

MichaelM

Guru
kennykool said:
I am still buzzing today by it so much so I searched google for forums on the event and found this one....roll on next year.

Can anyone help me with what I do now after taking part in the Etape - i'm signing up for London - Paris next year but need something else to do in the meantime!!!!!!

P.U.C.C. meet at various locations on Wed evenings and also ride at the weekends. Tonight is from Stanley at 7:00 pm if you're interested. Different groups for different abilities, come along if you fancy it. You may prefer the Dudee club - try them both and see.

kennykool

Thanks for that MichaelM

I work in Edinburgh so wopuld need to plan my time - Stanley isn't that far away either.

Never realised you could turn up to these things - I take it P.U.C.C is Perth United? I saw some of those guys on Sunday

Another question - are cyclists always nice to each other or was Sunday a Special day in the calender?

gavintc

Guru
kennykool said:
Thanks for that MichaelM

I work in Edinburgh so wopuld need to plan my time - Stanley isn't that far away either.

Never realised you could turn up to these things - I take it P.U.C.C is Perth United? I saw some of those guys on Sunday

Another question - are cyclists always nice to each other or was Sunday a Special day in the calender?

Cyclists are drawn from a reasonably large cross section of society. You will meet the grumpy ones as well as the social ones. But, in general on a club ride and a sportive you will always have someone prepared to chat, pass the time etc. Personally, I prefer cycling in a group - it makes the time and training pass more quickly if there is someone to share a few words with. Try out a club, see if you like the members, their pace etc. The camaraderie you experienced on Sun, will be shared on most sportives. If you are prepared to travel down south, there are a wide range of events most weekends. I think the Richmond (nr Darlington) event is this weekend coming.

kennykool

Thanks gavintc

I'm gonna try out a club and see how I get on - will need to juggle this between my golf (and of course my wife) so hopefully the club don't mind "ad-hoc" appearances?

If the atmosphere is half as good as it was on Sunday I'd be prepared to travel anywhere - it was an experience I'll never forget!!!

Not too happy with my pictures tho - I have 14 available and at least 7 of them are of me struggling to open my gel pack - funny but I wanted better ones ha ha

Alves

lifeson said:
I saw a couple of guys wearing the teacake jersey there whilst I was getting changed in the cold
Nope not me, but not sure whether I am glad someone else shares my taste or slightly annoyed I'm not unique!

Alves

kennykool said:

You might like to try Audax too, this is a strictly non-competitive form of endurance cycling with a "mass" start (usually only 20 or more but occasionally up to 100 or rarely more) where the emphasis is on a more leisurely speed over a longer distance commonly 100km or 200km but sometimes longer and occasionally much much longer.
I joined a few years ago when I got back into cycling after a long gap and found it very motivating and enjoyable. Warning, can be addictive.
Lots of more details on http://www.audax.uk.net/index2.htm

Noodley

Alves said:
You might like to try Audax too, this is a strictly non-competitive form of endurance cycling with a "mass" start (usually only 20 or more but occasionally up to 100 or rarely more) where the emphasis is on a more leisurely speed over a longer distance commonly 100km or 200km but sometimes longer and occasionally much much longer.
I joined a few years ago when I got back into cycling after a long gap and found it very motivating and enjoyable. Warning, can be addictive.
Lots of more details on http://www.audax.uk.net/index2.htm

...and being in Inchture you are perfectly placed for audax. Plenty events within easy travelling distance, with some routes "almost" going past your front door.

kennykool

Noodley said:
...and being in Inchture you are perfectly placed for audax. Plenty events within easy travelling distance, with some routes "almost" going past your front door.

Thanks so much guys - some of these Audax rides are very close indeed.

I know what you mean about the addictive bit...I've taken part in one event and am desperate for more.

fisha

Guru

I was parked in that car park immediately to the left after to you went through the bridge ( in the big red range rover ) was there with my parents.

Considering I had done zero proper training for it ( and I really mean that ) and hadn't been on the road bike for 3 weeks, I managed it in 4:22 which is almost exactly the same as the previous year.

I really enjoyed it. I hung on till about mile 45, and then when the hills came along, I just had nothing in the tank. If I had been training, I would have done better, but hey ho.

Number 118:

pv_CAL08_118x000724.JPG
pv_CAL08_118a1x004132.JPG

A few nice comments on the bike. Its a pity nice colours dont make you go faster ! :biggrin:

I gave the dour faced woman holding the sign up ( which said: No church, No paper, Not happy ) a huge big :

MORNING! :wacko:

as I went by ... i like to be polite and curteous you know !

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

G'day,

I enjoyed it more than last year. Better weather, less hungover (7 pinter) and a total buzz going up the climbs and down Schiehallion.

I was 704 in the Cyclechat jersey - didn't see any others sadly but hey ho.

Some bloke was sniping at me for drafting a girl - I was a good 20 metres behind her and doing about 15mph so he was talking baws - so at the 5 miles to go mark I decided to blast it and finished about 6 minutes up on him.

Sorry to hear about your wife's bad luck Gavin.

Roll on next year!

Top Bottom