Etape Caledonia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennykool

ExRacer said:
Why pay £50 to ride a "road race", just enter one locally for a tenner?

Surely £50 is a small price to pay for a "closed road race" especially through the beautiful Highland Perthsire area????

ExRacer

Drive 500 miles, to do a 80 mile road race for £50!

When I can ride a "real" road race, Surrey League for £10

Do the Maths. What a waste of money, oh and p*ss of the locals and make cycling really unpopular :blush:

Alves

ExRacer said:
Do the Maths. What a waste of money, oh and p*ss of the locals and make cycling really unpopular ;)
So it doesn't work for you, don't come along and don't join in, ignore it, doh.
This was a celebration of cycling, read the posts. The overwhelming majority of folk watching (estimated 6000 watchers)were applauding not booing (estimated 50 protesters- not my figures, from the local paper).
It was the best £50, I've spent so far this year, roll on 2009.

Alves said:
So it doesn't work for you, don't come along and don't join in, ignore it, doh.
This was a celebration of cycling, read the posts. The overwhelming majority of folk watching (estimated 6000 watchers)were applauding not booing (estimated 50 protesters- not my figures, from the local paper).
It was the best £50, I've spent so far this year, roll on 2009.

+1

kennykool

ExRacer said:
Drive 500 miles, to do a 80 mile road race for £50!

When I can ride a "real" road race, Surrey League for £10

Do the Maths. What a waste of money, oh and p*ss of the locals and make cycling really unpopular :sad:

I must apologise I never realised that you were from Surrey - it is a long way to go. But on the other hand I am coming all the way down to London for the Tri - athlon in August. Suppose it comes down to how dedicated I am compared to you that I would travel that far for an event - or do you have something against Scotland ExRacer????????

Have to also agree with Alves best £50 i've spent too and I saw very little protesters on the route so we've hardly made cycling unpopular!!!!

ExRacer

Ive been around cycling for a long time - do you really think that you'd get closed road in England and Wales?

Not a chance, this event is unique and upsetting the locals and alienating cycling and cyclists is not the way forward, even for a small Scottish community.

It's another road race, catering for people who don't want to ride their local event's, which typically have a rolling road closure in place. It's no better or safer, just more expensive ...

Alves

ExRacer said:
Ive been around cycling for a long time - do you really think that you'd get closed road in England and Wales?
quote]
You make a good point.
Nevertheless, they do lots of closed roads cycling events in Europe (why can't we?) and plenty of roads are closed all over the UK for many other events, marathons (this happened in Edinburgh and elsewhere that I know of), parades, motor racing, horse riding in the Borders, Tour de France in London, and many more.
It should not become a cyclist/motorist argument about road access.
It should be a cause for celebration that active and inclusive participatory sports happen in this country in whatever form not just sitting around watching motorsport or football. The more the better in general terms and in particular, this event was very good for Perthshire (and very bad for a few locals, which is undeniable and unfortunate but may yet be resolved in future events).

Wul

ExRacer - Do you still think closing the roads is a bad idea after THIS in todays news?

Sorry but a few hours of closed roads is a small price to pay to keep the cyclists safe.

ExRacer

No cycling body, British Cycling with 20,000 members and the CTC with over 70,000 members has the power to lobby the government and change the road traffic act. The CTC struggle to get bills changes let alone introduce them!

When the Tour De France was here a special act of paraliament was invoked, only just. The British Sportive did'nt get closed roads, a so called 'Special Event' There's no way they would allow closed roads for cycling events in the UK. In France, Italy and Spain etc yes.

Anyone who wants to waste their time and money trying is more than welcome. The capatalist society we live in dictates, the car is king economically.

We have to share the road and ride accordingly.

kennykool

ExRacer - due to the fact this is the ONLY closed road event in the UK shouldn't you WANT to ride it and experience a closed road event through, as I've said some of the most fantastic scenery Scotland has to offer.

This was my first ever cycling event and although there was almost 2,000 riders I was dissapointed at that number as there are almost 30,000 runners take part in the London Marathon and I assumed that the Etape would prove to be the biggest cycling event in Britain that every cyclist would want to take part in

ExRacer

The fact is that it isn't sustainable across the UK. I think anyone entering thinks this is the next biggest thing, and it isn't. Most road races are on open roads. What other races get closed roads? The event is misrepresenting cycling and upsetting the locals who clearly have a right to go about their business on a Sunday.

If I thought this could be replicated across the UK I would support it. I guess I'll be proved wrong when there's one in Surrey with closed roads ....

There also aren't 30,000 cyclists around to ride one anyways.

For anyone who understands cycling, there's no long term attraction to riding this? We have to share the road with everyone else.

kennykool

reckon we're gonna have to agree to disagree ExRacer as we seem to have gone full circle here.

I'm about to call the Council in Surrey and propose a closed road cycling event. :rolleyes:

Anyways moving on thanks again to all the commente RE :"what do I do next" I have signed up for a 205K Audax Ride on August 31st starting in Forfar

Wul

ExRacer said:
The fact is that it isn't sustainable across the UK.

I think you'll find it is ExRacer, if there are bodies/ organisations to take it up and run with it.

As for lobbying the government - i'm not 100% on this, but I think you'll find the Etape has not changed the Act in Scotland, it's simply a Temporary Traffic Order - same as has to be filled in for roadworks which need to close roads to be carried out.

It's all about the reasoning and contingency plans to get the TTO approved that takes the time and consultation with locals and residents.

Do you feel the same about local fairs and gala days which close off communities high streets to allow people to enjoy themselves without the fear of being run over?

ExRacer

Great discussion and lots of viewpoints.

I guess time will tell and good luck closing those Surrey roads. Let us know how you get on?

Great forum - 100 times better than Bike Radar's.

kennykool

Spoke to the council in Surrey and they told me that when they have a closed road cycling event....Satan will be Ice Skating to work..........

:tongue:

Top Bottom