etape countdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r0bbti

Less than 2 weeks to go till the Caledonian etape and getting nervous! What are others doing to wind down till Sunday 16th? I had thought I should do a long steady run this Thursday, then 2 shorter runs on Sat/Sun - maybe 35miles each, then really nothing for 6days till the big day.
Does this sound sensible? Or am I reducing too much too soon? Or not enough??

Stephen-D

I commute to work so i keep my legs going every day of the week, try and do some bigger cycles, do a couple of 60 milers at least, take some food and plan your journey and have fun :laugh:

if i stop for a few days i find my butt hurts after even 30 miles! so in my opinion i wouldnt reset for so long.

everyones different

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Most training plans I've seen recommend taking the week before the sportive easy such as a easy 40 mile with nothing too much hill wise although you can fit in a few tempo sessions.

I'm planning a 45 mile run on Thursday 5th and an easy 25 on Saturday 8th and Thursday 12th but then nothing till Sunday 16th.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I will be spending the week prior to the Etape practising my wave while on the move - so I can wave to all you super-athletes as you go flying down the road :smile:.

On second thoughts, you'll all be starting wa-a-a-ay before me, so maybe I should conserve my waving energy :biggrin:.

It's not easy being an old plodder, you know :wacko:.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
scoosh said:
I will be spending the week prior to the Etape practising my wave while on the move - so I can wave to all you super-athletes as you go flying down the road :biggrin:.

On second thoughts, you'll all be starting wa-a-a-ay before me, so maybe I should conserve my waving energy :smile:.

It's not easy being an old plodder, you know :smile:.

So you are cycling again after your recent encounter?:smile:

T

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Telemark said:
So you are cycling again after your recent encounter?:smile:

T
35 mins on the trainer this arvo to ensure the legs etc** still work and don't hurt too much afterwards. They do and they don't :smile:.

Now to get the courage to go back on the road ..... :smile:

** shoulder not as bad as originally thought; lovely multi-coloured bruise on R hip/upper leg and some unusual swelling; R elbow healing OK too.

Umm, errr, mmmm. Training. What's that! :tongue:

Things have really not gone to plan this year. I've managed one 35 mile ish ride (taking in Crow Road) this year. Apart from that it has been my 11.5 mile each way commute, 5 days a week.

I certainly feel fitter generally having moved up to the longer hillier commute (I'm a much stronger honker now! :laugh:), but I don't have many miles in the legs.

Should be interesting! :blush:

scoosh said:
35 mins on the trainer this arvo to ensure the legs etc** still work and don't hurt too much afterwards. They do and they don't :laugh:.

Now to get the courage to go back on the road ..... :tongue:

** shoulder not as bad as originally thought; lovely multi-coloured bruise on R hip/upper leg and some unusual swelling; R elbow healing OK too.

Hold on a minute? Have you been off the bike? Did I miss something?:blush:

viniga

Guru
magnatom said:
Hold on a minute? Have you been off the bike? Did I miss something?;)

Yeah, what happened Scoosh?

viniga

Guru
I hope the puppy was OK!!! :rofl:

As you have tapered your training I'm sure you will be fighting fit for the etape Scoosh!

scoosh said:
Seamab gave the best summary - post 17 here

Forum Ride from Liligow on Sunday will be a good check-up to see if I have got my mojo back :biggrin:

Ouch!! :thumbsup: Could have been worse, could have been a sheep....:rofl:

Seriously though, I hope you are on the mend.

Are there any plans to meet up the night before the race for a wee drink (soft of course!!)?

adscrim

Veteran
<P><A href="http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2010/05/06/newsstory15008020t0.asp">Looks</A> like there may be some more protesting on the 16th.  Acre are complaining again - apparently there are some unsafe riding practices on display at the etape caledonia, not to mention the litter (which I think they have a point about - the number of cyclist I saw suck in a gel pack and drop the wrapper was horrendous, although I believe IMG go round the course collecting the worst of it, mostly discarded tubes last year for some reason) and the abusive conduct!</P>
<P> </P>
<P>With regards the litter, if someone is after a pump or some new water bottles they should follow the broom wagon as the roads open.  I saw at least 40 water bottles that I assume people had dropped while replacing and a good 10 pumps last year.  Even if some of the pumps were thrown away as their owners found out haw useless they were, there must have been a couple of working ones.</P>

Top Bottom