Etiquette for scalping time triallists..............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
Yeah pass them as long as you can go past them and make it stick. Out of respect though you shouldn't hover around in front of them as it could ruin someone's concentration and may appear to others like they're catching a drag from you, which could jeapordise their race. You're not allowed to sit behind someone, it's cheating.

willhub said:
I was riding nice and steady at about 20mph one day, all nice and jolly, when some guy was TT'ing, part of a Triathlon, he had a carbon bike with ZIPP wheels, was doing about 19mph O_o

If I had swum 4 K was riding 180k and then run a marathon after Id probably be chuffed with 19mph

Will1985

Über Member
willhub said:
I was riding nice and steady at about 20mph one day, all nice and jolly, when some guy was TT'ing on the bike leg part of a Triathlon, he had a carbon bike with ZIPP wheels, was doing about 19mph O_o
Fixed that for you - many triathletes also seem to lap up every single marketing claim aimed at them. It doesn't matter what other people think about their gear. If they are happy that is all that matters.

The bike leg parts of a triathlon is a TT, so why have you crossed it out?

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
a scalps a scalp! i never mind mine being taken, one day ill take yours, i do giggle when im giveing my all and someone cruses by with mudgaurds paniers and the has breath to talk!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Was talking to a TT guy (time triallist? time juror?) on my commute the other night. Truth be told, he wasn't exactly shifting it, although his kit suggested he (or at least it) could have gone a fair whack faster.

I suspect he had nothing to prove, or was in a recovery day, or was just being sensible, or perhaps just commuting. We had a lovely conversation.

Well, I did. He was knackered :biggrin:

GrasB said:
willhub, some triathletes are surprisingly weak cyclists.

When I tried a triathlon a few weeks ago I knew I was a particularly weak swimmer and not a good runner and expected the bike leg to carry me through. After a worse than expected swim in a wetsuit I'd kicked far too much and tired my legs and was much slower than in training on the bike. I lost a lot on the hills but recovered on the little bit of flat there was and took places back on my bottom of the range road bike with clip on tri bars. I did see a guy with a carbon disk wheelon the rear get overtaken by a few people on road bikes on the flat which raised a smile :blush:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
arallsopp said:
I suspect he had nothing to prove, or was in a recovery day, or was just being sensible, or perhaps just commuting.

Possibly had a race / training after work. I ride my TT bike into work most thursdays, ride out to an evening TT. On the way in I cruise along at 16 mph, pointy helmet on head (where else can I store it). I'm not going to knacker myself out beforehand.

It's easy to let a scalper go when riding a TT bike, I would never let it rest if I was on the Brompton.

Will1985

Über Member
willhub said:
The bike leg parts of a triathlon is a TT, so why have you crossed it out?
Time Trial: a flat out effort with the sole aim of achieving the fastest time possible.
Bike leg: a controlled effort (in an aerodynamic position) as a means of getting from the end of the swim leg to the beginning of the run leg.

I know a lot of triathletes and all make the distinction between the two disciplines.

Top Bottom