Eureka Cafe for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Fingers crossed it finds a good new owner....

I think Kieth had to close his bike shop as the land owner wanted to sell for housing so perhaps him and his Mrs may have decided to sell the cafe as well and put there feet up.

Can honestly say I have never been in Eureka cafe as it is too close to home so no point in me ever stopping there as I would be just starting / finishing a ride.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Posted on their Facebook page (website hasn't been updated in ages):
"Happy New Year to all our customers.

After a restful break, with lots of time to reflect, it is with some sadness and regret that we have decided to sell the Eureka house and cafe business to retire. We have had 17 great years and have made some great friends and met some amazing people. However, we now feel the time is right to pass on the reins of this great cycling institution. 2019 marks the 90th year for the cafe and we hope it continues ad infinitum. We are announcing this first to our customers and the cycling community in the hope that the tradition will continue before opening it up to a wider audience.

So, if you feel like taking on this great institution, that still has more potential to realise in the right enthusiastic hands please contact Keith or Anne.

Only serious enquiries please, no (bicycle) tyre kickers."

si_c

Guru
Shame, but I think it likely someone will pick it up as it seems like a going concern. Plenty of customers whenever I've been in there.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Only been twice but was rather underwhelmed. It was built up to be "the" cafe to visit. I know and visit many better places which make a significant effort to attract cyclists even if we are not seen as their main customer base.

dodgy

even if we are not seen as their main customer base.

And that is what makes Eureka different from most cafes. Yes the cafe is on the basic side, but there is a tremendous amount of affection for the place. Memories and friends made over many many years. If it's plush(er) surroundings you want, and there's nothing wrong with that, lots of other cafes do that. Gift cafe around the corner is nice, I sometimes go there if I just want some peace and quiet.

Eureka feels more like a social club to me, it's a social club that also happens to sell beans on toast.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Eureka is ok, but the place needs buying, and then moving (I'd be lynched by the old school) maybe into the lanes around Ledsham/Capenhurst to get it off the Hoylake Road.

As others have said I've only ever been once due to it being too close to the start of a ride. I've been to better places.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We go there on the Manchester to Llandudno ride for a few reasons....

1. There aren't that many good cafe options in the Capenhurst area
2. The place has a lot of history and, on the ride, there are always a few folk who have never been
3. Reasonably priced

But you're right about the location. I'm sure when it started it was in the perfect spot. Now the road is too busy

Having said that, I've not heard any grumbles about this as our lunch stop so it seems to be ok

si_c

Guru
We go there on the Manchester to Llandudno ride for a few reasons....

1. There aren't that many good cafe options in the Capenhurst area
2. The place has a lot of history and, on the ride, there are always a few folk who have never been
3. Reasonably priced

But you're right about the location. I'm sure when it started it was in the perfect spot. Now the road is too busy

Having said that, I've not heard any grumbles about this as our lunch stop so it seems to be ok
I really like Eureka, but part of that is the atmosphere around it having been there a long time. The food is generally quite good and reasonably priced too.

That being said there are alternatives that could be taken instead, Meadow Lea farm springs to mind in Mickle Trafford - it's a slight detour on the route, with a right turn in MT instead of heading towards Ellesmere Port, and then you'd use the Chester Millenium Greenway along the full length instead of dropping on around Capenhurst. Overall distance would be the same - but it's actually a quieter and more straightforward route, although it is a bit more expensive.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I really like Eureka, but part of that is the atmosphere around it having been there a long time. The food is generally quite good and reasonably priced too.

That being said there are alternatives that could be taken instead, Meadow Lea farm springs to mind in Mickle Trafford - it's a slight detour on the route, with a right turn in MT instead of heading towards Ellesmere Port, and then you'd use the Chester Millenium Greenway along the full length instead of dropping on around Capenhurst. Overall distance would be the same - but it's actually a quieter and more straightforward route, although it is a bit more expensive.

It’s always best to turn right and avoid Ellesmere Port!

Some of the local Ledsham and Capenhurst farmers should go and have a look at Meadow Lea. Then one could buy the Eureka name (controversial, I know) and set up a Meadow Lea ish place.

Top Bottom