Eureka Cafe for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Ok @dodgy you obviously have a better ear to the ground than me. To be fair I am just a casual observer who doesn't actually use the cafe for reasons given by others up post (proximity to home).

We'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

dodgy

We'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

Yup. The local chat around here has certainly made us all realise how much the cafe means to us. We all want it to survive, but recognise it may have to change in order to do so. Anne and Keith have put the best years of their lives into it, they felt they were custodians of something more than just a coffee shop. I know some of you will scoff, that's fine. The road is very busy outside, I wish that could change, Cheshire council have done pretty much nothing despite several cyclist deaths and other serious injuries on the A540, there's plenty of room for a segregated path on the other side of the road 🤷‍♂️

Anne and Keith only had to earn enough money to fund their old 'low' mortgage, the new owners will/might need much, much more income to cover the new mortgage value. I'm surprised Chester and Cheshire West Council didn't buy it and flatten it then they can ignore the ongoing risks of the A540 and ignore all the requests to resurface Woodbank - this being the poorest but busiest cycling road in the district (though Hosta coffee to Capenhurst is up there...).

dodgy

None of us know the financials, unless you’re their accountant. Clearly this wasn’t for charity.

None of us know the financials, unless you’re their accountant. Clearly this wasn’t for charity.
But it seems very unlikely they paid the same price as Keith and Anne did back in the day, as house price inflation over all those years is a bit EEK, so unless the people buying it are being charitable and sucking up the difference in value (🤞) then things will be changing (hopefully the grotty bogs).

Chislenko

Veteran
Anne and Keith only had to earn enough money to fund their old 'low' mortgage, the new owners will/might need much, much more income to cover the new mortgage value. I'm surprised Chester and Cheshire West Council didn't buy it and flatten it then they can ignore the ongoing risks of the A540 and ignore all the requests to resurface Woodbank - this being the poorest but busiest cycling road in the district (though Hosta coffee to Capenhurst is up there...).

Totally agree Neil, Woodbank is up there with the worst roads in Britain.

Incredibly they send many thousands of runners up there every year on the Chester half marathon.

Must admit I have stopped using it now and take my chances on the main road up to the lights then go down the lane that runs parallel to the 494 past the bloke with the taxi collection.

dodgy

Woodbank (or the never ending lane as local cyclists call it) has definitely deteriorated for sure. Few new houses on there so maybe it will get sorted. I still use it as it’s a trade off against more time on the a540. There is of course another alternative, go to the dead end of Shotwick then take the track into Deeside. In the dry it’s not too bad, but hardly anyone uses it. A few years ago we asked the council to surface it as a proper cycling facility, the residents of Shotwick found out and lobbied against it .

Chislenko

Veteran
Woodbank (or the never ending lane as local cyclists call it) has definitely deteriorated for sure. Few new houses on there so maybe it will get sorted. I still use it as it’s a trade off against more time on the a540. There is of course another alternative, go to the dead end of Shotwick then take the track into Deeside. In the dry it’s not too bad, but hardly anyone uses it. A few years ago we asked the council to surface it as a proper cycling facility, the residents of Shotwick found out and lobbied against it .

Done that track on an MTB a few years back and recall it being a bit rough, have you taken a road bike down it?

Just shows how used I am to bad roads in that I've never thought Woodbank to be that bad.

The road down to Burton Marsh is a bit crappy from Burton - impossible to miss the potholes at one point.

straas

Matt
I've been a few times and it's been busy each time despite what the weather's doing.

seem to remember there were a couple of cars parked in there too?

dodgy

I see more and more cars parked there in recent years, I think some of the 'member's have grown quite elderly and are not able to ride, but they try to keep in touch with their social circle. There are still 80+ year old riders there that do 100 mile weekend rides into Wales, though!

Top Bottom