Eureka Cafe for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I really like Eureka, but part of that is the atmosphere around it having been there a long time. The food is generally quite good and reasonably priced too.

That being said there are alternatives that could be taken instead, Meadow Lea farm springs to mind in Mickle Trafford - it's a slight detour on the route, with a right turn in MT instead of heading towards Ellesmere Port, and then you'd use the Chester Millenium Greenway along the full length instead of dropping on around Capenhurst. Overall distance would be the same - but it's actually a quieter and more straightforward route, although it is a bit more expensive.

If taking the Millennium Greenway please pay special attention to loose dogs and owners who don't control them and people walking in a day dream whilst staring at their phone and sporting headphones.

dodgy

Quite, it's not a cycling only facility.

Maybe the I'll giveGreenway a try on the 2020 Llandudno ride for a change. Seems to have decent cafe options and it avoids the busy stretch near Cheshire Oaks

Nickyboy, it is mainly busy on the stretch from Mickle Trafford to Blacon, once you get past the Saughall turn off it quietens down. Also in the summer St. Barts church just off the Greenway do refreshments at a fraction of the cost of cycling cafes. They put a sign on the Greenway when they are open.

si_c

Guru
Maybe the I'll giveGreenway a try on the 2020 Llandudno ride for a change. Seems to have decent cafe options and it avoids the busy stretch near Cheshire Oaks
That was another thing I was thinking about was that busy bit between CO and the Capenhurst turnoff, it's really busy and not everybody is comfortable riding that section. As @Slow But Determined says, it is really busy between Mickle Trafford and Blacon, but I've never had any problems riding that section as long as you take care and are courteous - besides even if it's not totally clear you can motor along quite nicely as all the dog walkers congregate in groups while their mutts get their mutt on.

straas

Matt
I really like it in there, decent coffee, some bike spares available and decent food.

Most importantly you don't feel out of place in lycra, and don't have to gingerly ask for a water bottle fill.

I suppose the other advantage of using the Greenway is that if you stay on it, it brings you to the river crossing at Hawarden Bridge to pick up the coast road.

GuyBoden

Guru
Many local cyclists still do a monthly pilgrimage to the Eureka (especially in the summer), personally I think the location near very busy roads is off putting for cyclists, but the roads were probably very quite during it's 1950's heyday. Best of luck to any new owners, Cafes seem to be very popular businesses at the moment, they are springing up everywhere.

dodgy

Fast forward to 1:22:00 to hear a piece about the cafe, reporter on site with a couple of customers. It was live on air this morning.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06vyqwh

dodgy

Bump. Now a buyer has made an offer that has been accepted, Eureka last day of business is the 6th June under the current custodians. No idea what happens next.

I assume it's going to be knocked down, or else I'd insist as the new buyer that any notifications say it is staying as a cafe? I wonder who gets custody of the memorabilia, as in Chris's maillot jaune.

dodgy

No idea about the memorabilia, but Keith and Anne are nice people and I have complete confidence it will be handled appropriately.
As for your first sentence, sorry, can't figure out what you mean.

No idea about the memorabilia, but Keith and Anne are nice people and I have complete confidence it will be handled appropriately.
As for your first sentence, sorry, can't figure out what you mean.
If we have no word on the cafe's future then it has no future surely? Because if I bought it I'd want it trumpeted from the rooftops it was staying open.

Chislenko

Veteran
It was to be fair a "one trick pony"

Most other cafes could attract customers by car as well but not this one as nowhere to park. Many walkers / ramblers pop into Nets but who would ramble along the Chester High Road?

So it's only clientel really is cyclists and if you get a lot of poor weather days that audience is also diluted as a lot will not bother to ride.

Yes I am sure there will be busy periods but I think as a business it would have to be one that is more of a hobby for people who have paid off all their mortgage etc.

I certainly wouldn't like to rely on the Eureka's takings to pay off loans etc.

My guess is it will be demolished and turned into residential or maybe even an overflow for the Mini dealership just by.

Top Bottom