European Championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
As a rough summary of the views on this thread then we've got someone who fancies 2 teams after they've had thumping victories (Spain and Holland), someone who won't write off the hot favourites(Germany) and someone who won't rule anyone out.

I think that we might have winner between us!

Noodley

rich p said:
As a rough summary of the views on this thread then we've got someone who fancies 2 teams after they've had thumping victories (Spain and Holland), someone who won't write off the hot favourites(Germany) and someone who won't rule anyone out.

I think that we might have winner between us!

And don't forget Portugal.

Or Italy (who always start slowly :evil:).

The Ethiopians looked good for short spells as well...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Noodley said:
And don't forget Portugal.

Or Italy (who always start slowly :evil:).

The Ethiopians looked good for short spells as well...

Portugal and Ethiopia come under the "won't rule anybody out" category which clearly includes any team not actually in it.

Mars Academicals are a bit tasty but their home pitch is a bit claggy apparently:sad:

Noodley

rich p said:
Mars Academicals are a bit tasty but their home pitch is a bit claggy apparently:sad:

Experience of clagginess will be an advantage if they get through to the second round.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
rich p said:
I've got a few bob on Croatia but I don't hold out much hope! The Dutch looked good but so did Itay at times. Toni's a bit of a lump IMO - not in the subtle mode of past Italian strikers.

My fiver each way at 12-1 on the Croats is looking good at the mo,.

'We' just beat the krauts 2-1:biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
uefa have screwed up with this tournament. letting two minnow countries (both looking likely to go out at first time of asking) host, denying one better side (not necessarily england) a place in the finals.

add to that the fact that these teams are given seeding, it has made the draw very lop sided. portugal have a fairly clear run to the latter stages, whilst at least one of france, netherlands and italy will be eliminated in the group stages.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
alecstilleyedye said:
uefa have screwed up with this tournament. letting two minnow countries (both looking likely to go out at first time of asking) host, denying one better side (not necessarily england) a place in the finals.

add to that the fact that these teams are given seeding, it has made the draw very lop sided. portugal have a fairly clear run to the latter stages, whilst at least one of france, netherlands and italy will be eliminated in the group stages.

I don't know about screwed up but I certainly agree with the sentiment (and going back some time). It's made worse by the fact that it's very fashionable to co-host at the moment. I don't particularly see the merit in host(s) getting automatic qualification or seeding. That or expand it from it's current format. The world cup has done the same thing. There are actually more european countries in recent years and without being disrespectful to some of the small countries, I think the standard has improved quite a bit for various reasons - big leagues in a few countries, ever more competitive club european competitions, qualifying for world cup and euros. So I don't see why the euro finals shouldn't have 24 sides, like the world cup did not so long ago. If the world cup hadn't changed with the times it'd be a joke now (there are still too many wrangles about seeding and quotas as it is).

OP
OP
R

Renard

alecstilleyedye said:
you can never write them off can you :biggrin:

Still wouldn't write them off but that was a surprising result last night.

girofan

I see the German team are as arrogant as ever. Why do they consider they have a divine right to win? :biggrin:
When the going get's tough - Germany foul and dive, and in last night's match get 'sent off.' :biggrin:

asterix

Comrade Member
I enjoyed the 'England' game. You know, the one with English ref and assistants. I thought they did a fine job. Can't remember who the teams were.

yello

rich p said:
I've got a few bob on Croatia but I don't hold out much hope! .

Oh I dunno. I thought they looked pretty sharp against Germany.

I've been pretty impressed at some of the football so far. Some really good football from teams that I wasn't expecting to look so polished... but then I have gotten to used to the kick and rush that is England's game!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Croatia were nothing special in the first match though. All the matches I've seen have been good in some way apart from France v Romania (first half).

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Croatia-Germany game was a tactical masterclass from Bilic. People sometimes think that coaches don't make a lot of difference. He was the difference last night. Plus he has a really infectious enthusiasm, determination and he can explain himself without cliche. He's a long way from some of the inarticulate and cynical ****wits you get elsewhere in the game.

Top Bottom