European Championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes the second match was an amazing transformation. Kick up the backside and tactical genius? Italy v Romania is looking good again. Drama as I write this! Penalty just saved.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
france/holland in a mo. send the french home holland!

yello

alecstilleyedye said:
france/holland in a mo. send the french home holland!

Not sure they can can they?

* thinks.... a Dutch victory would leave Italy and France on equal points, 1. If Romania loose to Holland and France beat Italy in the final round (or maybe even just draw, depending on goals scored??) then France would still go through???? Dunno, beer time *

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I dislike professional football intensely and so it was only as a result of channel flicking that I saw the Romanian penalty last night.

It turns out that the Italian goalie is called Buffon.;):biggrin::biggrin:

It must be really rotten being a foreigner sometimes.:blush:

OP
OP
R

Renard

The Holland France game was great stuff last night. Holland seem to have had their fair share of luck so far but are composed and have an incisiveness to their play.

Only saw the highlights of Italy Romania but it looked an exciting game too.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The thing is that the Netherlands had to up their game just to get out of this group. Italy and France don't seem to have realised this yet and one or both of them are going home... the Netherlands are a team in a way that France and Italy are not. Italy seem to be suffering from the loss of Cannavaro and France just have no real replacement for Zidane (or Henry)... they are both teams in transition.

I am not sure that the Netherlands will win the whole thing - I still think Spain could finally do it - but this tournament has had more good games in it so far than most of the last championships put together. The fact that England are not there seems to be a thoroughly good thing for the game.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
The fact that England are not there seems to be a thoroughly good thing for the game.
Reluctantly, I agree.

For one thing we would still have McClaren in charge which would mean crap performances and an early exit, and we would also have to suffer the embarrasment of "Our Boys" demonstrating their Saturday night town centre antics to the rest of Europe.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
5 Live have Maclaren and Graham Taylor pontificating on the radio as so-called experts! What a joke. Two failed England managers who thought tactics were a new peppermint:angry:

yello

I'm kinda not sure how good Italy and France are. I mean, Holland just p*ssed over them both but it's not like Italy & France where even given a chance to be crap... neither really got a look in. The Dutch looked shaky only when the French ran at the heart of defence, and they had to ride their luck a few times then. But it did also cross my mind that they might have shot their load too soon. I think you will see players rested against Romania.

As for Italy v France... tough tough call. Neither have got it together yet and I thought Italy looked particularly disparate disjointed against Holland. I'd like France to win but, I dunno, I can't really see it. I reckon Italy will get their act together. I think France rely on Ribery too much, so I hope Nasri is in the starting line up to provide some options. He's a creative player, France's young player of the year, and one for the future. I believe he will grace the Highbury turf next season so I'm sure you'll be hearing more of him.

But don't rule out a weaked Dutch team being defeated by Romania and neither France nor Italy getting through!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the way holland have played (counter attacking), and with key players rested, it's quite likely that holland-romania will be a fairly tight game which could well be a draw. it would only take romania to take one chance (france and italy had plenty) late in the game and it's arrivederci italia and au revoir la france.

OP
OP
R

Renard

Kind of glad Russia beat Greece tnight, sets it up nicely for a head to head with Sweden in the last game.

Top Bottom