EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe me , I find driver assistance mildly annoying. I’ve got reverse sensors that scream even when I can see I’m clear . Lane assist which slams the brakes on when I move lanes , granted Ive maybe not signalled . This is in my Merc A Class. Maybe it’s a Merc thing but If I could permanently switch this stuff of I would ! It’s a distraction !

Maybe use your indicators more so it doesn’t nag you? 😃

edit to add smiley

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
How can looking at something inside the car be the same as looking at something outside the car?
It's not. It's better. Instead of a small view of some of the right hand side of the car you get a full view of the *entire* right hand side of the car.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Out of interest - other EV owners, how many miles are you getting out of a set of tyres?

I just had a disastrous weekend. Parked up in M&S to get some food, and didn't see that there was a broken bottle at the back of the parking space. Thought nothing of it until I started driving home and got the tyre pressure indicator. Didn't realise what it was at first - but pulled over to find a flat tyre. I have breakdown as part of my lease so the AA came out and told me they couldn't re-inflate it as it was right down to the limit of being road legal after 17,000 miles. Had to pay for a 24/7 tyre jockey to come and put a new tyre on (£280 quid for a Three A budget tyre) as you can't even remove your own wheels on EVs I have learned (no jack or wrench supplied as standard). AA advised changing the other rear in the next couple of weeks.

Next day we had tickets for Peter Kay at the O2, so set off round the M25. Just as we are heading off on the A2 I get a tyre pressure warning. I get out, check the tyres and they seem OK so I assume it's just the pressure gauges being sensitive although I notice when I get back in that it's saying rear left (the other old tyre) and not rear right. Dropped the family at the O2, and took the car to Kwik Fit just to check. Puncture right on the edge of the tyre - so another new tyre. Health check on the car also finds the front tyre needs replacing and the tracking realigned. The other front is at 3mm and is OK for now.

So nearly £800 later and 3 new tyres, I'm wondering whether about 17,000 miles is usual?

CXRAndy

Guru
Out of interest - other EV owners, how many miles are you getting out of a set of tyres?

I just had a disastrous weekend. Parked up in M&S to get some food, and didn't see that there was a broken bottle at the back of the parking space. Thought nothing of it until I started driving home and got the tyre pressure indicator. Didn't realise what it was at first - but pulled over to find a flat tyre. I have breakdown as part of my lease so the AA came out and told me they couldn't re-inflate it as it was right down to the limit of being road legal after 17,000 miles. Had to pay for a 24/7 tyre jockey to come and put a new tyre on (£280 quid for a Three A budget tyre) as you can't even remove your own wheels on EVs I have learned (no jack or wrench supplied as standard). AA advised changing the other rear in the next couple of weeks.

Next day we had tickets for Peter Kay at the O2, so set off round the M25. Just as we are heading off on the A2 I get a tyre pressure warning. I get out, check the tyres and they seem OK so I assume it's just the pressure gauges being sensitive although I notice when I get back in that it's saying rear left (the other old tyre) and not rear right. Dropped the family at the O2, and took the car to Kwik Fit just to check. Puncture right on the edge of the tyre - so another new tyre. Health check on the car also finds the front tyre needs replacing and the tracking realigned. The other front is at 3mm and is OK for now.

So nearly £800 later and 3 new tyres, I'm wondering whether about 17,000 miles is usual?

My wife's model 3 long range gets around 20-25k miles. This is AWD so that will be a set of four tyres.

The Nissan is front wheel drive, with exuberant driving (like when son uses the car). Front tyres last around 20k miles. More careful acceleration gets a lot more mileage

Jameshow

Veteran

My old XC90 would only do about 20k per tyres perhaps 25k rears.
2.2 tonnes I guess is the issue.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Maybe me , I find driver assistance mildly annoying. I’ve got reverse sensors that scream even when I can see I’m clear . Lane assist which slams the brakes on when I move lanes , granted Ive maybe not signalled . This is in my Merc A Class. Maybe it’s a Merc thing but If I could permanently switch this stuff of I would ! It’s a distraction !

Mmmh I have not had this problem while driving a Merc. You can disable the lane changing thing but the dodgy parking beepers might sound like dirt in the sensors?

mustang1

Legendary Member
Same with my Mum's Honda. Managed to turn them off for good though. But VW Passat I had as a hire car - had to switch them off every time you started it. Pain the neck, why do all the 'tech' manufacturers assume we can't think for ourselves. It's the same with 'blot ware' on phones, and updates on Laptops. Just let ME decide what I want, after all it was me that paid for it.

My phone's and PCs come without bloatware, I specify it that way. The car thing? I have not experienced that before but my friends complain about it a lot in their cars. Maybe it's the car/phone/pc that is being used that causes this problem. I know Apple phones and computers have no bloatware for example.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Have you tried poking around in the settings? In my VW I have all the driver assist bells and whistles but they can all be disabled if I want to do that. Just takes some poking around.

Top Bottom