EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I like all the safety assistance stuff. I also makes me more considerate, I indicate far more often, overtake far less, keep my distance by using AAC.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I like all the safety assistance stuff. I also makes me more considerate, I indicate far more often, overtake far less, keep my distance by using AAC.

I knew you would come to the rescue 😀 .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Have you tried poking around in the settings? In my VW I have all the driver assist bells and whistles but they can all be disabled if I want to do that. Just takes some poking around.

Na the wife’s EQC is just as bad when reversing etc . I’ll have a dig around and see what the can disable but I think it’s only temp . Switch off and work up you need to go through it all again ? I’ll check though, might be able to do something with the sensitivity .

albion

Guru
Never owned shares in anything. You can admire a ground breaking, world changing product without being a shareholder you know.

Anyway - back to EV tyres.

I was sure it was you who divulged that here, just the once, a few years back.
Maybe I slight misheard you. Whatever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Na the wife’s EQC is just as bad when reversing etc . I’ll have a dig around and see what the can disable but I think it’s only temp . Switch off and work up you need to go through it all again ? I’ll check though, might be able to do something with the sensitivity .
Looks like you can turn off lane assist permanently but not emergency brake assist from what I googled.

Right - we have a problem!

Basically our Honda Civic (petrol powered) is a great car and has done really well
probably the best car I have ever had

However, it has just been through the MOT and the garage have said there is some work needing doing - some soonish and some in maybe a year or so

basically totally about £1000 - and the car is only worth about twice that

Now we have said for years that our next car would be electric (see - you knew that if you read far enough it would end up on topic!!!)

so I have been looking at the local places and what they have available

and a question arises

is there a reliable web site that can predict how much we will be likely to save by swapping to electric from petrol??

we do about 5-6000 miles per year

Thanks

chris-suffolk

My phone's and PCs come without bloatware, I specify it that way. The car thing? I have not experienced that before but my friends complain about it a lot in their cars. Maybe it's the car/phone/pc that is being used that causes this problem. I know Apple phones and computers have no bloatware for example.

Interesting. Wasn't aware of any phones that don't have apps I never use yet can't delete to free up the space and processor power. Same, to an extent with laptops - can't (easily) turn updates off for example, yet I should be allowed to decide if I want them or not. Say no too many times, and they are installed anyway. Try un-installing the default (in-built) browser on a laptop, it's a big no no.

mikeIow

Guru
Now we have said for years that our next car would be electric (see - you knew that if you read far enough it would end up on topic!!!)
and a question arises
is there a reliable web site that can predict how much we will be likely to save by swapping to electric from petrol??
Thanks

Can’t say I have seen any, but the maths should be straightforward enough?
Edit the below according to your numbers….

If you do 6000 miles and get 40mpg, that is 150 gallons, or around 680litres.
At £1.40/litre, that is around £950pa.

If your EV gets 3.5miles per kWh, you need around 1,700kWh electricity.
If you can manage to fill that at cheap rate, such as Octopus Go 9p/kWh, that is about £150.

Saving around £800pa, or perhaps 7-8pence per mile.

Obviously there is up front cost for EV, and also the cost for a chargepoint to be installed. They can easily be around a grand…but are one-off costs.

Servicing the EV *should* cost less - regenerative brakes mean we still have the original pads and discs barely worn after 47k miles - but I’ve certainly noticed Hyundai adding expensive coolants to the newer Kona, making the 4yr/40k service rather pricy. YMMV

We do nearer 10k miles pa, and have done 47k miles since getting our Kona EV….our previous car did closer to 35mpg, and the Kona closer to 4miles per kWh, so the savings are a little higher here

chris-suffolk

Can’t say I have seen any, but the maths should be straightforward enough?
Edit the below according to your numbers….

If you do 6000 miles and get 40mpg, that is 150 gallons, or around 680litres.
At £1.40/litre, that is around £950pa.

If your EV gets 3.5miles per kWh, you need around 1,700kWh electricity.
If you can manage to fill that at cheap rate, such as Octopus Go 9p/kWh, that is about £150.

Saving around £800pa, or perhaps 7-8pence per mile.

Obviously there is up front cost for EV, and also the cost for a chargepoint to be installed. They can easily be around a grand…but are one-off costs.

Servicing the EV *should* cost less - regenerative brakes mean we still have the original pads and discs barely worn after 47k miles - but I’ve certainly noticed Hyundai adding expensive coolants to the newer Kona, making the 4yr/40k service rather pricy. YMMV

We do nearer 10k miles pa, and have done 47k miles since getting our Kona EV….our previous car did closer to 35mpg, and the Kona closer to 4miles per kWh, so the savings are a little higher here

So, I accept that your on-going yearly costs are lower. But how much does it cost to buy each vs how much can you sell for? I.e. what do you lose as a result of depreciation on each. I've no idea of the figures, but they are needed for a total cost of ownwership calculation. As is insurance of each. And needs to be like for like car, so not a big ICE car vs small EV one.

If we're being picky, we can also factor in (say) 5% interest on the money saved in the bank for whichever car is cheaper to buy.

albion

Guru

Basically our Honda Civic (petrol powered) is a great car and has done really well

However, it has just been through the MOT and the garage have said there is some work needing doing - some soonish and some in maybe a year or so

and a question arises

Thanks

Low mileage consider leasing. About £300 a month without much down payment. That is still £3600 per year making for difficult maths.

Apologies, but I/we have already been told that we are not welcome.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Apologies, but I/we have already been told that we are not welcome.
Nope. No-one said that. I suggested we keep on topic is all. Lease is a great idea.

Realistically you aren't going to save in the short to medium term by going electric. But you do get a nicer drive, you don't have to visit petrol stations any more and you get to carry a small aura of smugness.

CXRAndy

Guru

and a question arises

Thanks

Work how much you spend in petrol money for 6k miles. Then work out how much you can get your overnight electric. It is now back down to around 7p per k-Watt. Look at the EV vehicle you want to buy, it will have a miles per k-Watt efficiency, usually around 3 to 4 miles per kW.

petrol usage on a 30mpg ave petrol car. Roughly £6.81 per gallon.

6000miles divided by 30mpg = 200 gallons @ £6.81 per gallon= £1362 per year

Example

600 miles divided by (average) 3.5 miles per kW =1714 kW of energy.

1714 times .07p = £120 for 6000 of travelling in an EV

£1362 per year for petrol
£120 per year for electric
I use EV Database for efficiency information
You will see efficiency sometimes in Wh/mile, easy conversion to miles per kW below

1000/Wh=miles/kW

This is fuelling your vehicle, not the costs of changing your car, which is never cheap. You will always lose money on purchasing vehicles.

Last edited:

albion

Guru
Nope. No-one said that. I suggested we keep on topic is all. Lease is a great idea.

Realistically you aren't going to save in the short to medium term by going electric. But you do get a nicer drive, you don't have to visit petrol stations any more and you get to carry a small aura of smugness.
That big elephant in the room was as much, if not more on topic than the Inverter for a motorhome question.
And anyway, I was not the one who resurrected the elephant. Get a balance.

Talking of elephants. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...icles-can-lightweighting-combat-range-anxiety
And on that other very very big elephant I brought into the conversation when you chastised me, it was thus of no great surprise about who started the thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
That big elephant in the room was as much, if not more on topic than the Inverter for a motorhome question.
And anyway, I was not the one who resurrected the elephant. Get a balance.
No idea what you are talking about here.

Talking of elephants. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...icles-can-lightweighting-combat-range-anxiety
And on that other very very big elephant I brought into the conversation when you chastised me, it was thus of no great surprise about who started the thread.
Again, you seem to be rambling. The point of the thread - like the other car threads - was to have somewhere to discuss the problems and bonuses of EV driving, and compare notes with other EV owners, not to resurrect the other thread "Are we being forced to go EV".

As the article points out, the future of EVs is to get lighter, more efficient and to improve range and speed of charging. Because Tesla has driven uptake there is now a race to make things better, cheaper, lighter, quicker etc. If a company thinks a consumer wants something they will develop it.

It's all good news provided we can get clean energy to power them.

Top Bottom