Evans vs LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cope

So I spoke to three of the genuinely local bike shops - independent, non-chain, within 10 miles of home. My question: I'm interested in getting a Genesis Longitude... can you get one for me to try, please?

The answers?

LBS 1: No. Sorry.
LBS 2: No. Sorry.
LBS 3: Yes... but you have to pay a 50% non-refundable deposit.

OK, I get that it's a niche product, but if I were happy to spend £1000 on spec, I'd just search for the best online deal and pull the trigger. Why would I even bother with the effort of the LBS?

So, by contrast I gave the nearest Evans a call. Their answer? Sure: we don't have one at present but we can get one in a week. £50 refundable deposit, no commitment. What day would be best for you to come and ride it?

That's the kind of service I expect from a LBS. I'd really much rather support a smaller local company, but I'm now in the position where Evans is offering exactly what I want. Sad.

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans have rather deeper pockets than an LBS, they can pay for a bike that they have no guarantee of selling at full price, or a even as new as you'll take it on the roads if it's dry (they don't allow test rides in mucky or wet weather). Although being national, they have a decent chance of someone else somewhere wanting to buy one

While for an LBS to get a bike that they may end up having to sell at lower margin, it's more of a gamble

But yes, if it's the one, Evans will sell you the bike

OP
OP
C

Cope

I'd much rather give the business to the local shop. Build the relationship, help the local economy, etc. But I'm not super-keen on buying what to me seems like a pretty expensive bike without having ridden it. I guess I could try it at Evans and buy it locally, but that seems a bit tough for Evans :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, a little bit I guess, but they'll survive. And I am sure they know that people use them for testrides and then buy elsewhere - they do offer price match to minimise that. It depends whether you already have a relationship with one of the LBSs and wish to continue that? If not, buy from Evans, have their 6 week check and troubleshooting, then go elsewhere for servicing if needed etc

I used Evans to testride a Genesis Equilibrium. I knew that I was just trying the frame and sizing, and that I wasn't going to buy it as I didn't like the spec (I was planning a build with SRAM as I don't get on with Shimano, and actually the testride cemented that for me)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Worth double checking the conditions before you proceed.

According to the Evans website, there is a nominal 1p card identity check deposit for a test ride, presumably of a bike in stock.

I wonder if the £50 for a non-stock bike is only 'refundable' against a bike purchase.

Some local shops operate like that, you pay £50, get to test a few bikes then they deduct the £50 from the one you buy.

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/test-rides

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Worth double checking the conditions before you proceed.

According to the Evans website, there is a nominal 1p card identity check deposit for a test ride, presumably of a bike in stock.

I wonder if the £50 for a non-stock bike is only 'refundable' against a bike purchase.

Some local shops operate like that, you pay £50, get to test a few bikes then they deduct the £50 from the one you buy.

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/test-rides
I was in Evans the other day and was told they will get any bike I wanted in to try for £50 . As long as I turn up to try it I get the £50 back .
I didn't take them up on the offer as I don't like wasting peoples time and my thinking is , you can tell sod all about a bike by sitting on it and riding it up and down a back road .
Personally I don't think the OP is going to buy the bike .

mustang1

Guru
Nothing wrong with Evans or any other bike chain store. I use a mix of chain stores and LBS depending on what I want.

I'll use an LBS as much as possible but if its more convenient to use Evans or cycle surgery then so be it. I visit CS most often and I get a discount and they're only a minute's walk away.

I've bought bikes from CS, Evans, Halfords (yeah yeah I know)and LBSes. Next I will even try online. Most cycling parts are bought online or CS.

Op did try giving his business to the 3 LBS. He wasn't exactly buying couple of spacers but a bike over £1K. The least they should have done is to offer to make some enquiries and get back to him by phone. It should be them that should be building the relationship with their customer base.

They were given the opportunity but chose not to take it. I would move on and rely on the big boys and courier to get the job done for the bike and leave the minor fixes to the LBS.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yebbut...LBS has possibly seen more people trying bikes, then going off to buy cheaper, some might be justifyably reluctant to possibly get the run around on a £1000 + bike with a distinct possibility it'll end up unsold.
I'm sure most would do the same. I wouldnt blame them.

At the other end of the arguement, when I brought my newly released Bianchi, it was the same price at myLBS as it was in the likes of Evans. Online retailers no doubt sell older stock at very very good prices, but if you want the latest, recently released bike...they have nothing to offer over a LBS, indeed, yourLBS is by far the best destination.

Cyclist33

Yebbut...LBS has possibly seen more people trying bikes, then going off to buy cheaper, some might be justifyably reluctant to possibly get the run around on a £1000 + bike with a distinct possibility it'll end up unsold.
I'm sure most would do the same. I wouldnt blame them.

At the other end of the arguement, when I brought my newly released Bianchi, it was the same price at myLBS as it was in the likes of Evans. Online retailers no doubt sell older stock at very very good prices, but if you want the latest, recently released bike...they have nothing to offer over a LBS, indeed, yourLBS is by far the best destination.

except that they do often, if not nearly always, offer discounts on the latest models too.

midlife

Guru
LBS 1 and 2 may not have been able to act as VAR's for Genesis?

BITD our bike shop was not able to source all makes of bike and was even worse in that respect when we became 5 star Raleigh dealership.

Shaun

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My LBS is a Giant store and I ran my new bike past them first . I never even thought to ask them if they could buy it in although I think if the could they would have offered .
I will be taking it to Giant to get it tweaked even though the bike is a Specialized . I don't buy all my stuff from them as I will look like a giant fan boy but when I can and its priced right I do .
I commented once that they must be pissed off with me always going in but they said at least I buy stuff .
Personally I think £50 should cover them setting up the bike properly for you and be non refundable rather than them sort of getting it right and letting you take it out for a little bit .
When you run a business you can sniff out a time waster from a short phone call . I guess its the same for all trades ?

OP
OP
C

Cope

I didn't take them up on the offer as I don't like wasting peoples time and my thinking is , you can tell sod all about a bike by sitting on it and riding it up and down a back road

That's a fair point. I certainly don't intend to waste anyone's time, and if I try and like the bike, I'll buy it. Sure, there are competing bikes I'd like to try, and it might be that I like one of them more, but that's in the nature of the business. If one shop can provide all the bikes on my shortlist, so much the better. What they'll get from me is a sale and a continued relationship.

To be fair, one LBS I've already used extensively, bought three bikes from, and have used as my main service place. They said they couldn't get it for me because if I don't like it, they'll be stuck with a niche bike in stock. The second I have a slight relationship with - have bought parts from them. They were the ones who did enquire and came back with the 50% offer. The third is a new place for me. I popped in for a chat and left them my current road bike for an estimate. They're the ones who recommended the Longitude in the first place, and were the ones I asked first. They said pretty much the same as my regular shop.

Agree about the relative merits of a 30 min ride on a fair day in the town. Not sure how much I'd expect to learn from it, so it might be a moot point.

OP
OP
C

Cope

Personally I think £50 should cover them setting up the bike properly for you and be non refundable rather than them sort of getting it right and letting you take it out for a little bit

Agree. I'd gladly pay £50 for the hassle of ordering and setting up the bike and lending it to me for a bit.

Leodis

Veteran
The problem with paying £50 to try a bike is that you could have three bikes in mind, you might need to reorder a different size and it all adds up. throwing £50 to a bike shop which advertise a bike for sale for them to do their job is ridiculous and beyond a joke, if they advertise a bike for sale or a range linked to their store then they have to without cost to the consumer order said bike pre-sale.

Top Bottom