Even stupider car names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never thought you could get more stupid than a Skoda Rapide. Skoda and rapid did not go hand in hand.
Skodas have always been decent cars i think and dared to go their own way on styling. The Nazis were very pleased to grab the Skoda works and also their later more liberal minded heirs. And i love the skoda logo.

Sandra6

Veteran
Over the years there have been some crackers of daft car names, but it seems the last few months has seen manufacturers raising the game.

For example...

The SEAT Arona = Aroma.

The Kia Stonic = Colonic.

These could be the best cars in the World, but saddling them with names that reminds buyers of poo is hardly the best marketing move.
I don't get it. Arona sounds a bit like aroma, but stonic and colonic? I wouldn't have ever made the connection and aroma makes me think of nice smells not poo anyway.

Then FIAT have had the Road, One, Point and Type. And the Ritmo - which shares its name with a brand of feminine hygiene items.

They sound better in italian though. As does vespa, which no one translated to wasp. For this reason the japanese used a few italian sounding names for their stuff.

And then there's joe green ...

Ps

One of the most conterintuitive italian car names was the panda. Which they used in italy. The original panda was a great design. And you can have a fair bit of fun in a panda.

tyred

Legendary Member
Anyone fancy a Nissan Cedric?
nissan-cedric-y34-2003-131263.jpg

Never understood why that company actually paid to use picasso. On what was actually a very staid looking vehicle.

Went on a date many moons ago with a woman who had a face like a picasso.

tyred

Legendary Member
I think Weshie was referring to the contemporaries of the Rapid. The only time air cooled Slodas were rapid was when the breakdown truck overtook some one, or when pushed off a cliff.

Skoda is a company with a long and proud history and the rear-engined Skodas were in fact water-cooled and although build quality could be iffy (probably no more so than BL or the Rootes Group) they were in fact a decent car and notched up a hugely impressive tally of class wins in international rallying over a period of many years.

Top Bottom