Ever worked where you "just dont fit in"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
You and me both Colly, I wonder how many people who complain about a job could make it self employed though.

I have occasionally wondered what it would be like to be self-employed. To do that though, you a) need to have a skill that is sufficiently useful to society that a lot of people would be willing to pay for it; b) not so many other people supplying that same skill that the market is saturated and c) if a) and b) are satisfied, obtaining the finance to get something off the ground.

Fat B'stard

Regular
I have occasionally wondered what it would be like to be self-employed. To do that though, you a) need to have a skill that is sufficiently useful to society that a lot of people would be willing to pay for it; b) not so many other people supplying that same skill that the market is saturated and c) if a) and b) are satisfied, obtaining the finance to get something off the ground.

There's always competition in whatever industry you work. Reputation is key!! Most of the expense nowadays paying for the certification especially in the trades like heating and electrickery

screenman

Legendary Member
Surprisingly sometimes the trades with the most competition offer the most customers, also there are very many self employed people about with limited skill levels, I include myself in this list.

Part of my business is selling tools and training to help people start on their own, the training takes a day then a weeks practise at home. The hard bit is getting themselves motivated and going out and finding the work, this is where most fail dismally.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The hard bit is getting themselves motivated and going out and finding the work, this is where most fail dismally.
Only a few decades ago someone out of work would jump at the chance to put the effort in and find the work. Now it seems individuals are less interested in the long haul effort that it takes to build up trade, reputation and a customer base.

A part of it, I think, might be the gradual loss of the social skills required for real face to face interaction and good customer relations.
A new business venture can't attract and keep real life customers if their vocabulary is limited to likes and pokes and 'OMG that is so cooo-ell!'

I have met so many students wishing to start businesses who can't even see the point of speaking clearly and dressing appropriately when meeting clients.

Doseone

Guru

Whilst it is obviously important to have a skill or product that is going to be in demand this is just one piece of the jigsaw. Equally important is the ability to sell yourself or your product and to be able to run a business effectively. I have a friend who is self employed who is so skilled at his job it isn't funny, but he's hopeless when it comes to invoicing and credit control i.e. actually getting paid for what he does.

Night Train

Maker of Things
That is often a sad fact of life, that being good at a trade doesn't equate to being good at business administration.
I can keep books, for example, but can't do accounts so I have to pay an accountant. Equally I find it difficult to sell a product or service that I can't, or won't, afford to pay for myself.
I can make a bespoke coffee table for £1000-£1500 but I would never pay that myself so it is hard to believe that people will pay that without question. If I wanted a coffee table I would just make one for less then £10 plus labour, I forget that not everyone can, or wants to, do that.^_^

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
The problem with workplaces as a whole is you will always get some cliques, back biting and dart throwing. Workplaces are made up of people from all walks of life and mentalities good and bad. People bring their humour and also troubles to work and can take it out on other people. Ive worked for some right bas***ds in the past. There is one thing in life which I will not put up with, is prejudice and brow beating. If I am at fault and get a bollocking I can accept that. I am quite strong in defending myself( i have had to do from a young age)and if I get a bucket of sh*te thrown at me, the person giving it will get a skip full back. Life is hard enough before going to work and you spend a lot more time in the workplace than you do with your family. Having to spend 40+ hrs in a place you don't want to be can be demoralising.

AnneW

Über Member
I left a job and didn't like my new place. I stuck it out for as long as I could stand it, and started applying for something else. Applied to my old boss for a reference and was asked to go back. It was the best move I could've made.

If you go back to your old PaulSecteur, do it with your head held high. No point in suffering and there's nothing wrong in changing your mind.

Good luck.

It seemed to me to stem from particularly obnoxious individual who was a nasty piece of work, cutting and spiteful in the extreme. The sort who make themselves feel good by making others feel bad. As such no one wanted to be on the wrong end of his vindictiveness. Therefore all the sheep just followed his lead. Keeping their heads down glad it wasn't them being picked on.

Unfortunately bullies ( and their sheep ) exist in all walks of life, whether its on an internet forum or the real world. When dealing with people like that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Bullies tend to think they're untouchable but sooner or later they reap what they sow.

asterix

Comrade Member
Bullies tend to think they're untouchable but sooner or later they reap what they sow.

Too right. My boss handed me a written warning; I handed it back saying I wasn't going to accept it so we resorted to HR. He was sacked. He'd been in the habit of getting staff he was picking on into his office and giving them such a dressing down they exited in tears. Nasty piece of work, he was.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The hard bit is getting themselves motivated and going out and finding the work, this is where most fail dismally.

From my own experience going self employed... it wasn't motivation which was the problem in going out and finding customers... it was the fact that i'm a bog awful salesman.

being self employed is much more than having a skill which you can sell. You also need to be the secretary, salesperson, accountant, tea lady, cleaner, customer services and so on.

edit... just realised Night Train has made this point already.. sorry.

regarding bullying, my last job i walked out of because my boss (a top bloke socially) started being a tit regarding my workload. I had some 150 clients to manage single handedly and for months i'd been asking for help. His answer was always "we cant afford any more staff, but when we can, i'll get you some help" but then that changed to "If you can't cope, you're going to start getting warning letters, and if that doesn't work your job will be on the line." After a couple of these threats I told him i had no interest in working for him and did one. Much happier now :smile:

Fat B'stard

Regular
what gets my goat is HR. I've never come across one yet who's nothing but a lackey too senior management. I guess there are some good ones but in my experience they always come down on the side of management; obviously having self interests.

In my last job when i involved HR i was asked to go to a meeting with my line manager, his manager and HR Manager. Upon arrival i knew i had wasted my time (it was in holland). At the end of the meeting i received an email from MY MANAGER telling me what i had done wrong (nothing). When i spoke to HR about this protocol they closed shop and never responded to my question.

I spoke to the sales director and asked his opinion on the fact that my Line manager responded to the meeting not his manager or HR. When I said that this is like taking someone to court and the defendant responds not the jury. He just looked at me like i was stupid!!!

I like to think thats all behind me now as my new employers are very good and my line manager is brilliant: All they need to do is pay me a salary that i can afford to live on!!!!

Top Bottom