Exam Time - Anyone else feeling the (parent) pain ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My daughter has her GCSE's coming up.

There's revision, homework (still!) and coursework to hand in.

As parents, we are trying our best to suport her, comfort her, keep her calm - but it is not easy.

Anyone else on CC feeling the pain?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Yep. Horrible isn't it?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
She has her art exam on Monday, and she's just hurt her hand in PE. Makes sense.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Art is finished:smile::smile:

Revision for other subjects is ramping up:cry:

At least they have now got round to publishing the revision guides

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It I the calm after the storm here as my daughter only has SATS in a couple of weeks. To us they don’t matter, so no pressure from us. The pressure was for her 11+ which she did back in September and did very well indeed.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Twin grandsons are doing their exams. A tense time all round. Funnily enough the boys are less stressed than their dad.

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5219539, member: 45"]Yup. It's particularly tough this year because everyone is so unsure about this new numbering grade system[/QUOTE]
Same in schools. If i answered honestly the question "what grades are your year 11 class going to get?" The honest answer is "i haven't a clue"
I hate it.

The EldestCub has gone for the time honoured method of revising by getting a parent to buy some essential revision guides and putting them on a shelf. Mind, his school have been running "period six' after-school sessions for revision since about February, and he had invitations to several extra sessions in the Easter holidays. His first actual exam is on Tuesday, and he'll have 28 exams overall. They are expected to be in school until about a week before the last exam, no 'study leave'. He's seeming pretty chilled about it... probably too chilled, really, but tbh the school hhave been ramping up the pressure for so long I think it would be counter-productive to pile on more. Anxiety management genuinely is quite important for him. If there hadn't been certain teachers making a mahoosive song and dance about how utterly crucial it all is for (literally) 3 years now we'd probably have been better off.

The SmallestCub will have the end of KS2 assessments coming up. His school are pretty good about getting the balance right on that and not turning it into a big deal so he's not stressing about it. Just heard that he should be given the 25% extra time and the option of taking movement breaks because of additional needs, which will make the process of actually taking the tests less unpleasant for him.

Sandra6

Veteran
In a word, no.
This is my fifth time going through gcse's, and if you count A levels, end of year college exams and submitting of degree work ( I can't decide if it's thesises or thesese?) I've done the whole exam thing 10 times so I can be forgiven for being a little blase about it all.
To be honest though, only my eldest daughter ever got stressed during the exam period and she did drive us all mad with it.
I was probably quite tense when the first two got their results, and youngest son very nearly ended me with his lack of interest when his A level results came out, but this year we're all very calm.

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5220506, member: 10119"]Mind, his school have been running "period six' after-school sessions for revision since about February, and he had invitations to several extra sessions in the Easter holidays.[/QUOTE]
As a teacher, i have a bit of an issue with all of this. All schools run these now as they have to be seen to be doing as much as possible to boost students grades. There has been no proper study to determine their efficacy. How much benefit is there to sitting in a room listening to a teacher go through stuff you have already been taught?
I realise that lots of students do not have a home environment conducive to study and many of those that do still lack the maturity and self motivation to revise unsupervised but i would rather give up my time to staff a room after school or in the holidays where students can come and revise and i can be on hand to answer questions than be forced to run taught revision sessions.

Top Bottom