Exam Time - Anyone else feeling the (parent) pain ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
The twins are just home from their final GCSE. Over 40 exams between them. My son had all his further maths exams in this final week.

Just the wait for the results now.

Well done to all and good luck too!

Reactions: C R

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My eldest's last A-level exam this afternoon. He's been surprisingly chilled about most of them. Just the wait for results in August now.

He's off to Lincoln to study mechanical engineering in September.

Reactions: C R

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Son #2 had his final A level on Monday so he's been out "watching the football" (read: drinking a skinful) most nights this week with his mates. Restarted his gardening business to make him some money over the summer

He's chilled cos he has an unconditional offer to read Geography at Birmingham. So I'm chilled too, which is nice

Julia9054

Guru
Son number 1 just graduated. Where did the time go? Now comes the tricky business of trying to make a living.
Anyone in the Manchester area in need of a trumpet teacher? Or a function band for a wedding/birthday/party?

ianbarton

Veteran
My eldest daughter has just finished her last A level exam today. I wish I hadn't thrown away my old A level papers from 1973 a few years ago. She is doing the same subjects I did at "A" level. Either the questions have got a lot harder, or I have forgotten lots of things:smile: In two of the subjects she is doing (chemistry and biology), I have a degree and a Phd and even with some revision I would struggle with some of the questions.

Julia9054

Guru
My eldest daughter has just finished her last A level exam today. I wish I hadn't thrown away my old A level papers from 1973 a few years ago. She is doing the same subjects I did at "A" level. Either the questions have got a lot harder, or I have forgotten lots of things:smile: In two of the subjects she is doing (chemistry and biology), I have a degree and a Phd and even with some revision I would struggle with some of the questions.
They've invented most of the genetics since you were a lad!
On the upside, she hasn't had to learn all the intermediate reactions of the Krebs and Calvin cycles!

Eldest Son just finished the last exam -a presentation about Tour de France and Doping- yesterday. He got a '2' which is 'Good' and that means his all-important average will be about 1.5 which is pretty close to top marks here.

Not bad for a kid who spoke English and Japanese almost exclusively until he was three...

ianbarton

Veteran
They've invented most of the genetics since you were a lad!
On the upside, she hasn't had to learn all the intermediate reactions of the Krebs and Calvin cycles!
I went to University in Sheffield where Krebs discovered the TCA cycle, so at the end of my degree I knew pretty much everything there was to know about it! Apparently, he did most of his work in what was a cinema. I remember several practicals reconstructing his experiments.

One of my supervisors had done his PhD at Oxford. I remember one day he introduced me to Ernst Chaim (a Professor at Oxford), who along with Howard Florey were the people who really made penicillin useful. Fleming had abandoned his research as he was never able to purify the drug. However, Chaim and Florey rediscovered his paper and went on to work out how to make it in useful quantities.

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
[QUOTE 5287242, member: 10119"]I think the EldestCub counted up 28 in total. That's a lot of exam, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

'Tis a big number. I'm trying to remember back how many O Levels (last year to take them) I did. Around 18 is my guess. Some subjects now seem to have 3 exams whereas Os were 2 per subject.

One good thing here is that the twins took an accelerated subject. Daughter took two. This meant a lot of work at the time but less stress now. Their birthday right at the very end of August has always made them the youngest. I'm not sure what if any bearing this will have on final outcomes.
My birthday is at the beginning of September and a crappy work ethic had far more bearing on me!!

Top Bottom