Exam Time - Anyone else feeling the (parent) pain ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrklaw

My son had just one a-level this year because he is doing further maths - his main ones are next year. But still got stressed as he really wanted an A* for the top universities. He got an A but only just missed out - there were three papers and he passed two with A* marks but missed on the third. Seems an odd way to mark them - his overall score would have been enough.

Now wondering whether to retake or just go for the still good but slightly lower entry requirement options. Its frustrating because its all a new system, new paper - they're the first to see it as further math students and theyr'e only 16

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My son had just one a-level this year because he is doing further maths - his main ones are next year. But still got stressed as he really wanted an A* for the top universities. He got an A but only just missed out - there were three papers and he passed two with A* marks but missed on the third. Seems an odd way to mark them - his overall score would have been enough.

Now wondering whether to retake or just go for the still good but slightly lower entry requirement options. Its frustrating because its all a new system, new paper - they're the first to see it as further math students and theyr'e only 16
It's been a nightmare this year with all the exam and marking changes, so I can sympathise.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think the only answer (to just about any question in fact) is to hunt and kill Michael Gove.
We're risking a trip to NACA, but ...... yeah.

A couple of years ago the Tour of Britain kicked off a stage at Camberley in Gove's constituency of Surrey Heath, where the Tory vote is weighed, not counted. A friend and me rode from Winchester. We'd paid for a bit of hospitality on arrival so my chum could try and grab a few autographs (he's a collector) and we'd get some food. Who should be holding court in the VIP area but the Great Satan himself, who i think was still Education Secretary. I'm not given to violence, but it did cross my mind momentarily that I'd be a hero to nearly every teacher in the land and a good many parents if I lamped him.

Next time I saw Bolletta's then primary school head teacher I mentioned that I'd been within a few feet of Gove. Her reply - "Did you hit him?" - said with a wry but slightly ambiguous smile.

He's taller than you'd think from the telly.

Last edited:

Mrklaw

It's been a nightmare this year with all the exam and marking changes, so I can sympathise.

thanks - first paper in particular seemed to throw a lot of the class, and they hadn't properly revised for it (and of course no past papers).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You could still take him, though, Bollo!

Top Bottom