Exam Time - Anyone else feeling the (parent) pain ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I wonder if my parents stressed about my "O" levels etc in 1962?

Watch “F is for Family” if you’ve forgotten what it was like.

andabby

Über Member
We have 4th of 5 highers tomorrow, we give her peace, quiet and space to revise and ice cream and horse riding at weekends to de-stress, worked last year will probably do same next year. She puts work in and seems to know what she wants to do in Uni.
We are like fish out of water mind, few o-levels then bimble about not knowing what to do, they seem to be more prepared with what they want after school now than we ever did, and seem to have more opportunities for further education then we did.

I wonder if my parents stressed about my "O" levels etc in 1962?
Who knows?

Most of the kids I know don't think their parents are stressing. If indeed they are! My parents didn't seem to stress about mine. I think even if they did, it's kind of in the job description to not hand that stress over to your kids.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Well it's all kicking off. We had a family bereavement last week just to add to the misery. My daughter is coping, just about.

Art - exam done - coursework handed in
DT Product Design - coursework handed in
RE - Done - coursework of praying done :smile:
French - Done
Science - later...
etc...

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Well it's all kicking off. We had a family bereavement last week just to add to the misery. My daughter is coping, just about.

Art - exam done - coursework handed in
DT Product Design - coursework handed in
RE - Done - coursework of praying done :smile:
French - Done
Science - later...
etc...

Sorry to hear of your bereavement. They certainly pack them in don't they? We are in a similar position with art. RE was done as an accelerated one year course last year. Mine have biology after lunch.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
This years students are under a lot of pressure with exams claimed to be the hardest for years.

I cannot recall getting stressed about O levels. In fact I don't remember revising a great deal for them.

C R

Guru
Daughter one had SPAG and spelling yesterday, we thought the S in SPAG was for spelling, but never mind. Reading today. She is quite relaxed about the whole thing, which is the best way to go about it.

C R

Guru
[QUOTE 5243962, member: 10119"]Both of mine are pretty big maths fans and the kids in 'my' schools (I'm their IT technician, but get roped in to class-based stuff 'supporting teaching and learning' quite a lot) always think I'm fibbing when I say I'd happily do maths lessons all day long.

Apparently the SPAG was quite good fun, and then they did a spelling test. There was a question he wasn't sure about so he guessed at a noun phrase. It's all nonsense, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

We are likewise lucky that ours all like maths. I find it strange how the teachers attitude can be a problem adding to the perception of maths being difficult, have had in several occasions the teachers say how difficult maths is in front of the students, which just adds to the already ingrained perception that maths is hard, so to some extent there isn't much point in trying, and if even teacher finds it difficult, why should the student try then.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
SATS here too. It was my daughters birthday yesterday, so she had a fun day of SPAG like the rest of you. To be honest she is very relaxed about the whole thing as we made it clear they are mainly for the schools benefit, although she does have a sense of internal pride so will be trying her best. Our 'torment' was actually around the 11+ results day, which for her personally has far more affect on her life.

the teachers say how difficult maths is in front of the students

I sometimes tell them what we're doing is hard - when it is. Things are allowed to be hard. I tell them that too, and that things being hard sometimes is good, because it means we're learning something. It's also pretty clear to the kids I work with that I think figuring out hard stuff is blooming good fun :biggrin:

"My" Year 1s today, for example, were well chuffed when I pointed out that the 'super challenge' algorithm task I gave some of them, after they'd done the coding task they'd been given, was actually the same job I'd given to some Year 4s to do earlier that day. That got them heads down - and head scratching - and showing some real persistance when it started to get tricky :biggrin:

It depends how it is said. If a child is finding something hard, it may be reassuring to them to know that it is because it is hard rather than because they are stupid.
Yes - there's a massive difference between 'don't panic - I've given you a challenge' or 'Hmm... I've never done this before, shall we figure it out together?' and the kind of 'maths is hard and scary' attitude which I suspect is what @C R has seen and, quite rightly, objects too. I have to say though, I don't see it very often these days - in primary, anyway, I can't really comment on secondary.

Top Bottom