Example of good driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Indicating should be an auto pilot reflex when changing direction.

Wrong. Blindly indicating at every manoeuvre is the mark of a driver who doesn't actually know who is around them who would benefit from knowing their intention. This implies poor observation and lack of understanding of the purpose of indicators plus a worrying belief that having indicated makes it okay to make the manouver no matter the situation.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wrong. Blindly indicating at every manoeuvre is the mark of a driver who doesn't actually know who is around them who would benefit from knowing their intention. This implies poor observation and lack of understanding of the purpose of indicators plus a worrying belief that having indicated makes it okay to make the manouver no matter the situation.
That implication and belief don't necessarily follow and consider the potential damage of not indicating when someone would benefit but you'd failed to notice them (possibly a collision) against that of indicating when no one sees it (almost none?). It doesn't excuse not looking properly but it might just help others to avoid a collision when you screw up. I really don't understand this blinkered opposition to it which seems to be based on some misguided idea of non-indicators' own infallibility.

Clanghead

The 5 or 6 friends and work colleagues of mine who are (or claim to be) "Advanced Drivers" are among the worst drivers (excessive speed, driving too close, risk taking) I'd ever had the misfortune to get a lift from. Anecdata and not statistically significant, I realise, but to misquote Shania Twain - IAM don't impress me much.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
This implies poor observation and lack of understanding of the purpose of indicators plus a worrying belief that having indicated makes it okay to make the manouver no matter the situation.

No it doesn't. Indicating that one wishes to change direction in no way removes the need to check that it is first safe to change direction. Thats like saying its ok to go through a green light without first checking that the traffic that is held back by the red light has actually stopped. That would be plain stupid.
Another point would be that just because a driver (or indeed cyclist) didn't see any other person who would benefit from his/her indication, doesn't mean they weren't there.
There is no reason not to indicate when turning etc.

mjr got there before me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I disagree entirely. A competent driver or cyclist knows 100% what other road users are around all the time. There is no excuse for poor observation. To indicate for a turn at a deserted junction with no road user in sight just shows lack of awareness of the Highway Code.

mjr

I disagree entirely. A competent driver or cyclist knows 100% what other road users are around all the time. There is no excuse for poor observation. To indicate for a turn at a deserted junction with no road user in sight just shows lack of awareness of the Highway Code.
:rofl: and a belief in one's own infallibility that means your driving licence should probably be revoked!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That's a tricky one I have to admit.
Hitting the indicator switch in a car requires very little effort beyond thinking about hitting the switch and moving your hand to activate it. No loss of control of the car, van etc.

On a bike though, you lose a brake and are more at risk of losing control if a pothole or small furry animal etc gets under your wheels.
I'd say that with the exception of left hand turns where I think a driver in front or behind might use that indication to their advantage by cutting in front of me, I indicate. Although I do it more for my safety than anyone else's.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Again, it isn't just road users you should be on the lookout for.
And as already said, human beings make mistakes. You are not infallible.

Road users includes pedestrians and cyclists. A competent driver should be aware of anybody who needs to know his intentions, whether they are on foot, on bike or in a motor vehicle.

Ajax Bay

Guru
A competent driver should be aware of anybody who needs to know his intentions, whether they are on foot, on bike or in a motor vehicle.
You're absolutely right. I advocate that a driver (and rider) both makes sure they are aware of all the road users who might need to know his/her intentions AND that they indicate. This is not an either/or: the first requirement is paramount. SMIDSY so I didn't indicate . . . . Or SMIDSY but I indicate as a matter of course so at least you knew what I planned.
I am aware that driving examiners frown on indicating when it's "not required" but that's to combat the "I've indicated so I don't need to look round / look in mirror" syndrome.

mjr

I'd say that with the exception of left hand turns where I think a driver in front or behind might use that indication to their advantage by cutting in front of me, I indicate. Although I do it more for my safety than anyone else's.
I still indicate then, but try to be ready for the cutters, to leave myself enough slack to tighten the turn or get back to the brakes.

Road users includes pedestrians and cyclists. A competent driver should be aware of anybody who needs to know his intentions, whether they are on foot, on bike or in a motor vehicle.
Wouldn't it be lovely if all drivers on our roads were competent all the time? Sadly that ain't the real world and almost everyone makes mistakes sometime, even so-called advanced drivers. Mostly we get away with them without collisions. What exactly is the drawback to indicating? Are you worried it'll wear your lights out?

Top Bottom