Example of good driving

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by DRHysted, 11 Oct 2017.

Tags:
  1. DRHysted

DRHysted Veteran

We always remember the bad drivers, the close passes, the left turners. So I thought I would pop an example of good driving here (mainly because it's so unusual).

vimeo.com/237721565

2. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Link no worky:sad:.

3. Lonestar

Lonestar Veteran

I remember good drivers all the time and acknowledge them.

Unfortunately one crappy bit of driving can really ruin it.

4. OP
    OP
    DRHysted

DRHysted Veteran

5. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Perfection may have included an indicator being used.

Ffoeg, mjr and Drago like this.
  6. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Sometimes I get a driver who moves onto the other side of the road to overtake .This makes me so happy I want to chase after them and kiss them.

NorthernDave and dave r like this.
  7. No it's not. More than 99% of the drivers I interact with put me or themselves in no danger. It's not unusual, but I don't need to watch videos of it.

Banjo, 400bhp, dave r and 3 others like this.
  8. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Yup, as Tom Jones used to sing. It's not unusual.
    But it's nice that some good driving gets highlighted.

*Sure there's another thread about good drivers videos*

dave r and Drago like this.
  9. Drago

Drago Guru

One only needs use indicators when there is another road user who will benefit from the act. Blindly whacking them out tends to quickly become a substitute for looking properly, such is human nature.

10. rugby bloke

rugby bloke Veteran

I find there is always one idiot who does their best to spoil your ride. On this basis it always makes me happy to meet this idiot early on in the ride ...

11. Will Spin

Will Spin Senior Member

This is fine (overtaking bit, I don't know about the kissing bit), apart from those drivers who do this and seem to be completely oblivious to the oncoming traffic.

Welsh wheels likes this.
  12. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

The driver behind would need to be alerted that he was moving out because of the 'obstruction' in the road.

dave r and Brandane like this.
  13. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

There's been countless times when I've attempted to cross the road on foot only to have to step back again because some t*** on the other adjoining road started turning onto the one I'm crossing without indicating.
    Rule 170 means bugger all to the motoring masses as they'll just plough through ignorantly but if they indicate first, I'll know to wait safely till they've passed me.
    Indicating should be an auto pilot reflex when changing direction.

14. View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c412hqucHKw

I am shocked that indicating isn't required by law here.

Only found this out recently, as I had always just assumed.

15. Brandane

Brandane Fair weather cyclist.

This must be one of the worst pieces of advice ever dreamt up by these supposedly "advanced driver" organisations.
    Back in the day it was nice and simple; mirror - signal - manoeuvre. Using indicators is and never was a substitute for looking properly. The lack of indicator usage has recently become something of a badge of honour because of this "advanced driver" endorsement. Or to put it another way, indicators have become something that only learners and wet-behind-the-ears drivers use.

Personally I am tired of arriving at T junctions or roundabouts and having to stop because there is a car coming from my right which is not indicating, so I have to assume it is going straight ahead across my path. Then the fecker turns left without indicating, into the street I am emerging from...... All because there was no-one behind him, and he possibly didn't see me as I was hidden by buildings on my approach to the junction. In the old days he would (or should) have been signalling a left turn on the approach, so once I had made sure that he was indeed slowing down and looking like he was turning, I could have emerged. That is just one example; I could go on all day about drivers not indicating.....

Banjo, Clanghead and dave r like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice