Examples of gross impertinence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My neice's husband gave me one the other day, he is a leading seaman in the Navy. One day at home, doing some painting and decorating, a door to door salesman knocks on his door, tries to convince him of why whatever he was selling would be of interest to him with the line "I presume you're on benefits ?". The door was swiftly closed on his face.
And here's one from opening my post this morning, a letter from the Electoral Registration Officer asking to verify that the electoral register information for the property is correct. It states that it's important to be registered to allow participation in elections, so far so good, but then adds that it could also "improve your credit rating"! How offensive is that ?

ScotiaLass

Guru
My neice's husband gave me one the other day, he is a leading seaman in the Navy. One day at home, doing some painting and decorating, a door to door salesman knocks on his door, tries to convince him of why whatever he was selling would be of interest to him with the line "I presume you're on benefits ?". The door was swiftly closed on his face.
And here's one from opening my post this morning, a letter from the Electoral Registration Officer asking to verify that the electoral register information for the property is correct. It states that it's important to be registered to allow participation in elections, so far so good, but then adds that it could also "improve your credit rating"! How offensive is that ?
I noticed that too!

gbb

Legendary Member
In a similar way though, you can use a little reverse logic ...
If i get a salesaman at the door for any home improvements, i always say...'sorry mate, i'm just a tennant'
I'm not of course, i am the owner, but he won't know that and wont waste another ounce of breath trying to sell me anything.

You're right though....disappointing, but that's the spam world we live in.

ScotiaLass

Guru
In a similar way though, you can use a little reverse logic ...
If i get a salesaman at the door for any home improvements, i always say...'sorry mate, i'm just a tennant'
I'm not of course, i am the owner, but he won't know that and wont waste another ounce of breath trying to sell me anything.

You're right though....dissapointing, but that's the spam world we live in.
I think I've told the story before of my dads friend (a fellow trucker) who had a call from a conservatory company.
He let them ramble on, giving all the info re how it would improve the value of his house, add more space etc, then said that he'd like someone to call round to discuss it further.
They hung up after he gave them the first line of his address....
Flat 5....
:laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I personally don't see anything wrong with that. A lot of people have suffered over the last few years losing they're jobs, and homes etc through no fault of they're own. Maybe they are now getting back on they're feet, and may need to or would like to better theyre credit rating. At least they are being given information as to the fact that it may improve they're rating.

It may be my age, but life is to short to get your knickers in a twist over being given information, that may help someone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
[QUOTE 3535283, member: 259"]Why are you offended by by that? It seems like a sensible criterion for a credit rating agency to me.[/QUOTE]
The implication being that my finances are so peniurous that my credit rating, should I need one, which I don't, would be materially affected by whether I'm registered to vote.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Your credit rating can be affected by non-registration... I suggest you try researching how credit ratings are compiled..
But I don't need a credit rating thank you very much !

drummerbod

I have a notice on my door saying "NO COLD CALLERS". A labour politician knocked on the door and my wife answered. He wasn't listening to my wife so I intervened. I said "Can't you read - it states No Cold Callers."
He replied "Well technically I am not cold calling...." to which I swiftly replied "Go away idiot." and shut the door on him.

I thought politicians wanted our votes?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When I was a Scout we had a rather pompous assistant leader - an older boy - who, undertaking our uniform inspection, sneered to a friend of mine "Where's your woggle?" to which he instantly replied "I give up. Where is it?" Needless to say, we were thrilled!

Mrs M

Guru
My Grandad was in India and Burma during the war.
Years later a wee man in a turban came to the door offering to sharpen knifes.
The offer was politely declined and the man started muttering away in his native tongue, he got the shock of his life when my Grandad understood and replied.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 3535283, member: 259"]Why are you offended by by that? It seems like a sensible criterion for a credit rating agency to me.[/QUOTE]

A clue:

Got very irritated at work recently by their selection of verification questions for asking for a password reset. Amongst the questions was name of my paternal grandfather. I've absolutely no idea of the names of either of my grandfathers, one died in the 1920's, I believe of malaria contracted whilst fighting in Mesopotamia during WWI, the other died from a mine dropped on a railway station during WWII. He was on Home Guard duty at the time. Nor did I know my grandmothers, one died when I was a toddler the other when I was 11, I sort of knew her but I've no idea what her name was. Am I alone in thinking this a completely unreasonable question to be asked for a password reset at work ?

I'm upset because the question smacks of ageism. I suspect that many of my age, over 50, would be hard pressed to answer this. I suspect that the question was selected by somebody considerably younger who doesn't appreciate that many of our grandfathers failed to make it through the war.

Yes I could make some up but do you really think I'm going to be able to remember them in several months possibly several years time when I next need a password reset on this particular application ?
And in the same vein, one of the other items of 'memorable' information they request is the name of your 'best friend' at school ! They have got to be kidding.

Sandra6

Veteran
I didn't read all the letter when I got mine, I was more offended by their insistence on misspelling my name.

The name of your grandfather comment - surely it doesn't matter how old you are, or whether you met the person or not, I would expect most people to ask about their relatives at some point.
I never met my paternal grandfather but I know his name amongst other things.

Top Bottom