Exciting times....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nasty, chasey killing machines (I know of a few cats/smaller dogs that have been ripped apart by the beggers, if you must have a dog at least get a real one,

006 (2).jpg

Nasty, chasey killing machines

Are you talking about greyhounds or human beings, if the latter couldn't agree more if the former you need educating, the only difference between a greyhound and any other breed when it comes to temperament around cats and small furries (and that is to say some greys can live happily with cats as much as some GSD will rip a cat to shreds given the chance) no the difference is a greyhound is capable of actually catching what it chases.

Any responsible owner will keep a grey on a leash or enclosed area at all times as they are sight dogs, so for a hounds own good as much as anything.

For the info of the OP a hound can spot a rabbit at a mile accross fields and if it sets off for it it won't stop regardless of roads, barbed wire etc in its path. Also some can jump so a 5' fence + is a good idea, and keep an eye out for neighbours cats in the garden before letting the hound out. Other than prepare to spend a lot of time staring longingly at the sofa you used to lounge on but is now taken up by hound. Oh and greys are like bikes, the correct number is N+1 ^_^

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Looks like we're getting a new addition to the family in a couple of weeks.....

We've decided to adopt a greyhound.

We get to go and be interviewed by a selection of dogs in a couple of weeks. :smile:
You’ll be very happy :-)
Whippets, Greyhounds are great pets. Easy to care for, healthy, but importantly extremely affectionate. They are not very smart, you can’t train them much, but you'll never find a more easy to be with pet.
Prepare to lose your sofa and bed....

One other thing to be aware of @Kestevan many hounds have been maltreated, when they first enter your life and home they may seem a little aloof, insular even, just leave them to their own devices, food warmth and a quiet environment and one day soon the hound will let you sit on the same sofa and from that moment on you will have the most devoted companion ever, don' t abuse your hounds trust once earned because it is unconditional.

After we lost out pedigree cat, we took on a little rescue ginger tom - lovely little thing, but he has, and will, cost a fair few bob to get him 100%. Oh and we are likely to get one or two more pedigrees in the next few months (same breeder). That will be 3 or 4 cats... OMG
Relax. You're just getting to that time of life. It's called the "many-paws"

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
We have a BIG sofa... :smile:
We're getting a hound from the greyhound trust - most of their dogs are ex-racers and have never been "pets". Both Mrs Kes and I have always had dogs up until the kids came along, but the youngest is now old enough to be owned by a dog.

We spent last Sunday at one of the GHT get togethers, being leaned on and taken for walks by various greys.... now cant wait to get adopted and have a big stupid smelly lazy eating machine taking over the couch again.

Unfortunately a lot of mistreatment occurs in racing kennels and by trainers, watch out for strange behaviour one of our ex racers once fled from the wife and cowered behind the sofa when she picked up sons pool cue to pass to him, says it all really.

Our last 4 hounds have come from the greyhound trust, 2 adopted as young dogs and 2 old age basket cases on foster.

screenman

Legendary Member
Unfortunately a lot of mistreatment occurs in racing kennels and by trainers, watch out for strange behaviour one of our ex racers once fled from the wife and cowered behind the sofa when she picked up sons pool cue to pass to him, says it all really.

Our last 4 hounds have come from the greyhound trust, 2 adopted as young dogs and 2 old age basket cases on foster.

We soon learned garden tool were not to be used when ours was out in the garden with us.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Few! I thought I was going to go on and read the cat was killed by a greyhound.
Next door rescued a Greyhound, an ex racing one as well. It used to go off like a greyhound would across the fields. It came back on it's own one day when our 7 month kitten was in the front garden. The kitten didn't stand a chance.

Lovely. Greyhounds are beautiful dogs both in appearance and temperament. I have a Lurcher (greyhound collie cross) and he is just lush. I also have a mixed breed terrier of some kind- she is far more likely to kill a cat than the lurcher.

Top Bottom