Exciting times....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I've been brought up with lurchers and greyhounds all my life and they are great dogs. Ours were either greyhound collie cross for the HJKC or pure greyhound for pure straight line speed, a beautiful thing to watch even in play. The modern version, at least round here is an abomination. They are mixed with all sorts of muscle bound brutes for either bringing down deer or even worse depending on who owns it.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Well - Things didn't work out quite as planned......

Before we went to the kennels we were adamant that we wanted a black hound.... Mainly cos we have black carpets, furniture and being a house of ex goths our default clothing colour choice is of course.... black.

However..... the beast below decided from minute 1 that we were going to be his humans, and we didn't have a choice; the fact he's white was irrelevant. Apparently he's been in the kennels a while, and has never shown any interest in anyone else.

So the newest member of the Kes household is a huge white hound called Olaf (of course). He's settled in remarkably quickly - mastered stairs in minutes and has already claimed sprawl space in the dining room and living room and is busy proving that it is actually possible to out sleep teenage boys.

DSC_0124.JPG

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Unfortunately Olaf is no longer with us. A couple of weeks ago he developed a slight limp, the vet thought he may have strained a knee ligament and prescribed anti-inflamatories and rest, but the limp only got worse, and he stopped being his usual self, but never really complained or lost his happy, smiling idiot face :smile:

He went for an x-ray on monday, and they found a large tumour on his leg. He spent Monday night at home with the family and our other newer greyhound Ivy (you were right @Saluki they are addictive), and was put to sleep peacefully yesterday morning.

I know losing them is an inevitable consequence of pet ownership, but this came out of the blue, after only 6 months. Cancers a bastard....

Unfortunately Olaf is no longer with us. A couple of weeks ago he developed a slight limp, the vet thought he may have strained a knee ligament and prescribed anti-inflamatories and rest, but the limp only got worse, and he stopped being his usual self, but never really complained or lost his happy, smiling idiot face :smile:

He went for an x-ray on monday, and they found a large tumour on his leg. He spent Monday night at home with the family and our other newer greyhound Ivy (you were right @Saluki they are addictive), and was put to sleep peacefully yesterday morning.

I know losing them is an inevitable consequence of pet ownership, but this came out of the blue, after only 6 months. Cancers a bastard....

Sadness. Much sympathy from someone who's been through this many times. it never gets an easier, but only 6 months...
:sad:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Oh no! That's so sad. At least he experienced a loving family when he most needed one. Somehow this thread passed me by.
Glad you have Ivy and hope she doesn't miss Olaf too much. I appreciate your loss. Long dogs are very addictive indeed.

Me and @Hill Wimp have a 15 week-old Whippet, one get's used to them being part of the family very quickly.... then you realize that one just isn't enough....

Slick

Guru

It is. :sad:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

That's heart breaking. :sad:

Sorry to read that news.

Top Bottom