Exersising with a cold....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I'm confident this question crops up regularly in this section but I dont have the time ( and I'm too idle:blush:) to trawl through the section looikng for an answer.
I have a stinking cold (not the flu) but am keen to get some miles in now the snow has buggered off so what is the consensus about doing sustained (but not heavy) exersise with a cold?
I also do running, well jogging and swimming a few times a week; what effect will it have on those activities?
I'm sure a GP would say rest and do nothing but I dont trust my overpaid quacks opinion on anything.

Thanks in anticipation :biggrin:

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I'm confident this question crops up regularly in this section but I dont have the time ( and I'm too idle:blush:) to trawl through the section looikng for an answer.
I have a stinking cold (not the flu) but am keen to get some miles in now the snow has buggered off so what is the consensus about doing sustained (but not heavy) exersise with a cold?
I also do running, well jogging and swimming a few times a week; what effect will it have on those activities?
I'm sure a GP would say rest and do nothing but I dont trust my overpaid quacks opinion on anything.

Thanks in anticipation :evil:

Bill Gates

You need to be cautious. It's what it can lead to is the problem. When I have a bad cold I lower the level and volume of training so I'm just ticking over. If you cough up green phlegm then you've got an infection so stop training. Anything above the neck only should be OK to train,; anything lower (chest) then stop.

Bill Gates

You need to be cautious. It's what it can lead to is the problem. When I have a bad cold I lower the level and volume of training so I'm just ticking over. If you cough up green phlegm then you've got an infection so stop training. Anything above the neck only should be OK to train,; anything lower (chest) then stop.

Norm

Bill Gates said:
Anything above the neck only should be OK to train,; anything lower (chest) then stop.
+1.

I also find going out in cold weather turns a cough into bronchitis. I had a cold before Christmas and (daftly!) did a 3 mile commute by bike on the 22nd December and picked up bronchitis again.

So, definitely +1 to Bill's comment. If it's just a runny nose and sore throat, then mild exercise should be ok, if it is in your chest, you could be doing yourself no favours at all, especially exercising outside in this weather.

Norm

Bill Gates said:
Anything above the neck only should be OK to train,; anything lower (chest) then stop.
+1.

I also find going out in cold weather turns a cough into bronchitis. I had a cold before Christmas and (daftly!) did a 3 mile commute by bike on the 22nd December and picked up bronchitis again.

So, definitely +1 to Bill's comment. If it's just a runny nose and sore throat, then mild exercise should be ok, if it is in your chest, you could be doing yourself no favours at all, especially exercising outside in this weather.

montage

God Almighty
Please don't go swimming and turn that pool into a germ fest for others.
I'm sure you wouldn't have anyway. I'd say just stick to slow leisure rides for now

montage

God Almighty
Please don't go swimming and turn that pool into a germ fest for others.
I'm sure you wouldn't have anyway. I'd say just stick to slow leisure rides for now

ASC1951

Guru
Norm said:
you could be doing yourself no favours at all, especially exercising outside in this weather.
I've been going potty not being able to get out for nearly a month and went around the streets yesterday at gentle jog pace, sucking in lungfuls of cold air. Not good - coughing all evening.

So for the next few days it will be off to South Leeds Pool. Hot wet air doesn't seem to have the same effect and with more attendants than swimmers, you can really rack up the lengths.

ASC1951

Guru
Norm said:
you could be doing yourself no favours at all, especially exercising outside in this weather.
I've been going potty not being able to get out for nearly a month and went around the streets yesterday at gentle jog pace, sucking in lungfuls of cold air. Not good - coughing all evening.

So for the next few days it will be off to South Leeds Pool. Hot wet air doesn't seem to have the same effect and with more attendants than swimmers, you can really rack up the lengths.

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Thanks folks; it bad news then because its on my chest too...no green chewy flem yet but its probably on its way.;)
Bloody annoying cos I can run up stairs and walk about no bother.......

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Thanks folks; it bad news then because its on my chest too...no green chewy flem yet but its probably on its way.:smile:

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Thanks folks; it bad news then because its on my chest too...no green chewy flem yet but its probably on its way.:biggrin:

davidg

I've read about neck test mentioned above as well...

I think it was Joe Friel...I cant remember the condition that you can get if lower but it involved virus or bacteria (cant remember which) travelling into your heart!

davidg

I've read about neck test mentioned above as well...

I think it was Joe Friel...I cant remember the condition that you can get if lower but it involved virus or bacteria (cant remember which) travelling into your heart!

Top Bottom