Expensive bike shortage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just got back to the UK from Spain and I am looking for a new bike to ride while I am here. Now I know new bikes are in short supply at the moment because of the 'biking revolution' that's going on at the moment and I kind of expected this.
What I find interesting is that while looking at bike shop websites even the expensive bikes are not in stock at the moment and by expensive I mean bikes that cost over 5k.
Now I could imagine the new 'bikers' paying say up to a grand for their new found hobby but are they really paying 5k plus for their first new bike?

I could only imagine that it's the new bikers that are emptying the shelves of expensive bikes because established bikers would allready have a decent bike and surely not be in the market for one in peak season.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Would not have thought £5k bikes would be plentiful even with out a pandemic, put it this way a mate had to get his rather spendy £5k orbea imported from Spain as there was no stock in the UK back in 2018. Not much been many factories open remember.

vickster

Legendary Member
End of model year, most shops don’t carry lots of high cost bikes on the shop floor. New models out in next few months

Sigma Sports carry a fair few high cost bikes. Paul’s cycles ha e some on their site too (nothing under about 2k though)

Which particular bikes are you looking at? Phone the retailers of interest direct to discuss as they may need to source from distributors, presumably you’re not going to spend 5k without seeing, sitting, test riding anyhow?

5k is actually not that much to spend on a hobby for plenty of people, including the born again MAMIL.
If I wanted a new super bike for example, I could spend the £4K or so that was earmarked for a cancelled May holiday. There’ll be plenty of others I’m sure who now have the funds available from a cancelled holiday

Drago

Legendary Member
It's been well reported that new and used bikes up to around £400 were selling faster than Chasey Lain's pictorial memoirs, but I didn't know the top line stuff was also in short supply. If ever found a top flight bike I liked then I'd cheerily pay 5 large for one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You usually have to wait anyway for top end stuff - bike shops can't afford to have it in stock. a member here got a £12k bike quite fast, but again, it's only if a shop can afford to tie up that sort of cash.

Jimidh

Veteran
I ordered my new Trek Domane SL7 at the start of June and got it three weeks later - the delay caused by the volume of back orders.

Not sure if many LBS hold many ‘high end’ bikes in stock but certainly in my case the manufacturer was able to supply in a reasonable time.

DSK

Yep, I had a knee jerk moment last week and pathetically justified a Trek Madone SLR7at around £6,500 …… sold out...… (thank god :rolleyes:).

I was of the same opinion that bikes utpo £1500 would be sold out but, who in their right mind would spend more on 'a bike'. You'd have to be seriously into it or rich to really pay more.

I think some people may have taken advantage of the situation to sell their current steeds and upgrade into the circa 3-5K territory.

D

Deleted member 26715

You'd have to be seriously into it or rich to really pay more.
Or compensating for something in the nether regions

Jimidh

Veteran
Or compensating for something in the nether regions

This isn’t compensating for anything - just a stunning bike.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you say so, if you say it often enough you'll eventually convince yourself, but each to their own, if it gives you pleasure then so be it.

Reactions: C R
We have a Ridley Helium SLX with Force e-tap at around £5k at the mo,,, should be a fair bit more but it's an ex-reps bike in new condition but normally we don't keep bikes like that in the shop.

But there is basically a shortage of everything at the mo and some bikes won't be available until the new year.

View attachment 533909
Stunning, as you say. :becool: Enjoy and don't mind the pathetic comments from those who clearly need to seek professional counselling; some issues Forums aren't going to solve for them other than give them space to spew snide, immature drivel but, ultimately, you have a great bike to enjoy, they don't. ^_^

Top Bottom