Expensive bike shortage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
There has always been a degree of inverse snobbery round here. As soon as someone wants to, or has spent what they are confortable with, but others aren’t, on a bike, they have more money than sense. This is despite them having the sense to get the money in the first place.
I’ve never noticed the same being applied to other areas of life, like houses or food. Clearly if you buy anything other then Tesco value baked beans, you have more money than sense.
I love cycling and will encourage anyone to do it. It doesn’t matter if they have a £50 bike or a £15,000 bike, as long as they enjoy themselves and more importantly, the cost of someone else’s bike doesn’t impinge upon my enjoyment of the sport I love.

Last edited:

Jimidh

Veteran
Very very nice indeed. I have been looking at the Trek Domane myself (SL5 version)
Dont listen to the s**t about compensating for other things bullocks. If you can afford to buy a beautiful bike then buy it 👍

Thanks. I tend to ignore the snarky comments of a few individuals. The truth is none of us know the situation financial or otherwise of people on here but are quick to make judgements on other people’s choices.

I’ve spent the last 10 years paying back a fairly hefty business loan which helped me start up my company. Always promised myself that I would treat myself when I had paid the bank off. Did it last summer and it has taken me best part of the year to not feel guilty spending a good sum of cash on a mere bike. Only because my wife told me to go and buy it and the Covid situation showing me that life’s too short to worry about being frivolous now and again.

Then again it could be to cover for my tiny manhood:laugh:.

Trek_Girl

Regular
I think everybody out there is on the hunt for a new bike. I've even seen some seriously over inflated prices for what I would say are scrapmetal bikes with a ton of things missing off them or worse.

Have you tried Decathlon? LeisureLakes?

Trek_Girl

Regular
I ordered my new Trek Domane SL7 at the start of June and got it three weeks later - the delay caused by the volume of back orders.

Not sure if many LBS hold many ‘high end’ bikes in stock but certainly in my case the manufacturer was able to supply in a reasonable time.
Where did you order your bike? From Trek directly?

My LBS just replied to an email, they dont expect any stock of new Trek bikes until late Autumn...

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
My LBS should replied to an email, they dont expect any stock of new Trek bikes until late Autumn...
Oh dear a trip to Spa might be in order for something pretty in Ti ;)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Trek_Girl said:
I think everybody out there is on the hunt for a new bike.

It's mainly the coronacyclists that are mopping up the supply at the lower end of the market, especially secondhand. At the same time, the virus has disrupted globalised supply chains reliant on far-east factories. You haven't the likes of Raleigh churning out nearly a million bikes a year in Nottingham any more. If we still manufactured mass market bikes here in the UK, the situation would not be anything like as bad as it is.
Millions of people either on furlough or working from home, looking for something to fill the time. Cycling is seen as a good way to get round the lockdown restrictions, for "exercise" reasons. Most coronacyclists are fickle though, and I reckon next year and possibly the year after that, will be a secondhand bargain bonanza for those who are frugal of wallet.

Top Bottom