Expensive bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
I would say expensive becomes the point where you stop paying for the components but rather you pay for the brand and the look of the bike.
SPECIALIZED S-WORKS VENGE DI2 2013 for example. They themselves say that people pay for the look rather than the components. £8,500.00 price tag with only around 3/5 accounting components. Although there are other costs associated aswell.
Although personally if i had the money i would get one ha(saving for one :biggrin:).
:heat:
prod_38870.jpg
Lovely looking bike... but... is it just me, or with all the curved oversized tubing, does it not seem like the bars don't quite go. Too straight and standard?

Maybe it's because the frame is practically an aero/TT job it looks like it should have an aero front end as well?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Lovely looking bike... but... is it just me, or with all the curved oversized tubing, does it not seem like the bars don't quite go. Too straight and standard?

Maybe it's because the frame is practically an aero/TT job it looks like it should have an aero front end as well?

Wash your mouth out @lejogger lol. I would love one of them however unless the "2 months salary" extends to 6 months i dont hold out much hope.

lejogger

Guru
Wash your mouth out @lejogger lol. I would love one of them however unless the "2 months salary" extends to 6 months i dont hold out much hope.
Oh don't get me wrong, of course I would love one!!! No offence intended! :smile:

I just think it may suit a chunkier set of carbon aero style bars rather than the standard looking ones pictured... Kind of like a golden eagle body with a budgies head!

matthat

Über Member
I agree that expensive is based on budget!! 7 or 8 yrs ago i started my adulthood cycling passion on a landrover mtb for £250 which owed me nothing after 5k miles in 2 or 3 yrs and i classed that as expensive at the time because I paid for it outright. But then I found the cycle 2 work scheme and bought a £500 hybrid which was deducted out of wages! That was classed as top of my budget therefore expensive to me! And now i'm waiting for a £700 bike to be authorised by scheme which will be my dream bike and I very very much doubt I will pay any more than that. For a non club social rider I think that's quite enough and I doubt the mrs would be to happy with any more as I now have a fleet!! :bicycle:

Lee_M

Guru
what's expensive? It's all down to circumstances...

I have the Trek Domane 5.2 and that is way better than I am, but don't consider it expensive
- well of course I do ... but I justify it by the fact I can afford it.

I'm also now looking at one of these http://www.qoroz.com/travel-won/

because it's
Titanium
Can be classed as a travel bike
I want one

That too is probably expensive, and I know its beyond the reach of many but

I dont have a mortgage
I dont have any kids
and I work effing hard!

So again, what's expensive? It's all down to circumstances

ayceejay

Guru
A friend of mine plays golf, he is the N+1 of golfing. His club membership, bar fees, green fees, Ping clubs, shoes, hat, glove x 1 etc add up to 'Very Expensive' to me. When I paid $2000.00 for a Willier he said "How much? jeez that's expensive, almost as much as I paid for my Pings, FOR A BIKE?" Neither one of us goes out on wet windy days which is, I guess a leveler of sorts.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would say expensive becomes the point where you stop paying for the components but rather you pay for the brand and the look of the bike.
SPECIALIZED S-WORKS VENGE DI2 2013 for example. They themselves say that people pay for the look rather than the components. £8,500.00 price tag with only around 3/5 accounting components. Although there are other costs associated aswell.
Although personally if i had the money i would get one ha(saving for one)

I think it looks ugly, or is it me? OK it's me.

when your bike costs more than the car does...:whistle:
(when we picked up our tourers our Audi A4 was worth £1,000. their combined value was more than 5 times that amount!)

Road bike £300 - happy to leave it at college, and don't tend to worry about it
mountain bike £700 - less happy to leave it at college but it only cost me £225 so OK... heavy duty bike lock and make sure it is exactly in front of the security camera...
touring bike £2,500 = expensive in my book... (but worth every penny of it on tour)

Lee_M

Guru
I thought of it another way.... The expense of the bike is directly proportional to the agro you get from your other half...

in which case mine are all cheap as I get no aggro - in fact I was told on Saturday -

"why dont you just go and buy that titanium bike youve been looking at all weekend?"

and it wasnt said sarcatically.

I love my wife :smooch:

Top Bottom