Expensive bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
To me, VFM depends on what you use it for. A £2500 bike is expensive if it sits in your shed apart from a couple of rides a year on nice summer days. On the other hand, if it is your year round transport to work, shops, holiday tourer, weekend leisure et al; then it is a bargain!

Then again you have Alan Sugar with a fleet of custom built Pinarellos. They are not expensive - if you have his money.

e-rider

crappy member
To me, VFM depends on what you use it for. A £2500 bike is expensive if it sits in your shed apart from a couple of rides a year on nice summer days. On the other hand, if it is your year round transport to work, shops, holiday tourer, weekend leisure et al; then it is a bargain!

Then again you have Alan Sugar with a fleet of custom built Pinarellos. They are not expensive - if you have his money.
yeah, it's amazing how much money Sugar can make from a dodgy TV show!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very simple.

Anyone who buys a bike which is more expensive than mine is a show-off with more money than sense.

Anyone who buys a bike which is cheaper than mine is a cheapskate.

I like this analogy....^_^
So I will apply it to myself also...:thumbsup:

All of them :thumbsup:
u canna ride all of them at once!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
going by this thread at least 2 of mine are as well, which has me worried because I only considered one of them to be...
problem is depending on which bike you are on, you could be calling certain other people a cheapstake one day and a show off the next without them having changed their bike!:wacko:

Which makes the whole thread a bit of fluff and nonsense really doesn't it? :laugh:

Far too subjective to give an answer, you might as well just ask everyone "how much can you afford". It would however be interesting to ask bike companies what they thought was an expensive bike. Meanwhile I referred to the V.
Rule #

// The bikes on top of your car should be worth more than the car.
Or at least be relatively more expensive. Basically, if you’re putting your Huffy on your Rolls, you’re in trouble, mister. Remember what Sean said.

lejogger

Guru
A friend of mine plays golf, he is the N+1 of golfing. His club membership, bar fees, green fees, Ping clubs, shoes, hat, glove x 1 etc add up to 'Very Expensive' to me. When I paid $2000.00 for a Willier he said "How much? jeez that's expensive, almost as much as I paid for my Pings, FOR A BIKE?" Neither one of us goes out on wet windy days which is, I guess a leveler of sorts.
Unfortunately my hobbies include cycling AND golf. I could get an 'expensive' bike every year for how much my club fees cost me, and looking at some of my scores and how often I can play due to the lovely British weather, I really don't know why I bother sometimes!

Top Bottom