Expensive doesn't mean better.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My most expensive bike is a Specialized Roubaix Elite. It is the lightest of all my bikes but in no way the best. My Cube Peloton is the one I prefer of all of them although the cheapest, followed closely by my Trek Domane AL 3 disc which is the heaviest.

ExBrit

Über Member
Which order did you buy them in?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Which order did you buy them in?

Order of buying:
1 Specialized Allez
2 Cube Peloton
3 Specialized Roubaix
4. Trek Domane
The Allez is now my winter bike and nice to ride.
The Cube has better gearing being a triple and fits like a glove.
The Roubaix has 105 gearing and disc brakes but somehow doesn"t feel as good as the others.
The Trek has wider tyres and is great on roads with bad surfaces.

ExBrit

Über Member
Order of buying:
1 Specialized Allez
2 Cube Peloton
3 Specialized Roubaix
4. Trek Domane
The Allez is now my winter bike and nice to ride.
The Cube has better gearing being a triple and fits like a glove.
The Roubaix has 105 gearing and disc brakes but somehow doesn"t feel as good as the others.
The Trek has wider tyres and is great on roads with bad surfaces.

It's the glove bit. My favorite is my custom built Ti Serotta which is 22 years old and still the most comfortable. It's the only bike I enjoy riding a century on.

mustang1

Guru
I used to have an Allez about 20 years ago. It eventually moved from being my best bike to my winter bike and I remember using it in the snow which was enormous fun. I even used to leave it in the yard and by the morning it was full of snow. The gears would not work for the first 20 minutes because the mechanism was frozen. Good days and loads of fun!

Jameshow

Veteran
My favourite is a Cannondale six. Slated by the press but a comfortable all day carbon bike.

My focus izalco is quicker but beats you up in the process!!

Brandane

Legendary Member
My favourite bike is the one I am riding at that particular time.
Sometimes the most expensive (Merida e-Scultura).
Sometimes the lightest (Merida Ride 4000).
Sometimes the heaviest (Ridgeback World Panorama with panniers).
Sometimes the cheapest (Trek 6500 MTB).
But most often, the one that fits into none of these categories (Genesis Croix de Fer 20).

It all depends on the mood, the weather, and what I am doing. Don't want to be taking the Merida Ride 4000 on an off road ride round some local trails, for example.

Chislenko

Veteran
So the posters who use their Allez's as winter bikes, are they pre carbon front fork or if they are carbon front fork are you using P Clips for the front mudguard.

NB. I am obviously making the massive assumption that your Allez's are the same as mine...eyelets on the rear triangle but not on the front fork.

ExBrit

Über Member
But Di2 is better and more expensive than mechanical shifting. Right?

Last club ride I did we all stopped because a woman's DI2 battery had died and she had to turn around. I've had one rear shifter cable break in 30 years of cycling (about 200,000 miles). Mechanical is more reliable. Marketing is BS. We probably only have it because marketing execs have convinced CEOs that it works.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Because marketing..
Whether we like to admit or not marketing has an influence in all our buying decisions no matter if bikes, potato crisps or cars. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.
Another factor is appearance, if a product is visually appealing you're more likely to buy. You'd have a hard time buying a bike of they were all blue, black or yellow.

Top Bottom