Expensive doesn't mean better.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Carbon frame - 105 - who 'needs' more than that.

Personally cycling keeps my head straight - my weight under control, - therefore I can justify throw a little (or maybe a lot,) more than I need to spend.

It's only a waste if it sits in your garage gathering dust.

For weight control a much heavier steel frame would help more, and if it was also very noodly it would improve core strength too with you fighting its gyrations 😉

105 and Ti would be (is) my ideal, though my carbon bike is lighter it is very delicate (the finish coat gel/paint/varnish) and not exactly eco.

Jameshow

Veteran
For weight control a much heavier steel frame would help more, and if it was also very noodly it would improve core strength too with you fighting its gyrations 😉

105 and Ti would be (is) my ideal, though my carbon bike is lighter it is very delicate (the finish coat gel/paint/varnish) and not exactly eco.

Guy in here has a ti frame says it handles like a gas pipe steel bike!🤔🤣🤔🤣🤔🤣

Why do gas pipe steel bikes have inferior handling? I've owned two such bikes that I rode thousands of miles on and both were comfortable, sure-footed (thicker tyres) and seemed easy to steer etc. The lighter bike I have used was less comfortable and less forgiving but easier up hills. I felt the handling was superior on the cheaper bikes. It's really just the little bit of extra effort required for a heavier bike, up hills etc but I never felt the handling was inferior just a slower bike.

I watched a recent Hambini video on youtube showing the appalling construction of a BMC frame. Another European brand that pretty much just slaps on their branding to a frame from Asia and charges 5x as much and conceals the Chinese origin of their frames. You can certainly make the claim more expensive is inferior here, its a garbage frame very poorly made despite costing thousands. BMC actually means Bicycle Manufacturing Company and yet really they are an importer and not one that cares about which factory they import from either. The frame was a joke with horrific construction around the front mech hanger.

Jameshow

Veteran
I think that most people buying a ti bike expect a certain nimbleness of handling.

Of course ti blikes steel and carbon can be made heavy or light, thick or thin.

My second carbon bike is like that, but hat is what makes it a good bike for me. As is my winter bike.

GuyBoden

Guru

Yes, I built a ti frame Sabbath Silk Route a few years back, the frame is 3Al/2.5V straight gauge seamless titanium tubeset and heavy compared to my carbon, other ti, carbon/alu composite, aluminium and steel 531c frame bikes.

Yes, it rides similar to an old straight gauge gas pipe steel frame.

The ti Sabbath Silk Route is a great winter bike, very comfy, very strong and ideal for flat Cheshire rides, but not great for steeper hills.

I think my ti Sabbath Silk Route bike looks nice too.
cheshire-ride-mar-31st-2022-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Carbon frames come in all grades just like any other bike. If you want it cheap or expensive it's your choice. Have a look at time bikes

Jameshow

Veteran
They used to be just standard modulus and hi mod new there are multiple different grades!🤔🤔🤔

Petrichorwheels

Last club ride I did we all stopped because a woman's DI2 battery had died and she had to turn around. I've had one rear shifter cable break in 30 years of cycling (about 200,000 miles). Mechanical is more reliable. Marketing is BS. We probably only have it because marketing execs have convinced CEOs that it works.

I've had one break once - on the way to catch a train - meant I had to do some severe spinning - but in truth was my own fault - easy enough to give your cables a quick look over for fraying - failures don't come from nowhere. Battery failures can of course.

tinywheels

Über Member
as the owner of a brompton with Chris king headset ,hope bottom bracket and cranks etc.I can tell you expensive is definitely not better. It's all in the head.
I have owned real bikes that cost a lot of money, and to be honest they didn't really justify their cost in my opinion.
an expensive bike won't make you a better rider.
I'm just about to restore a cannondale killer v 900 I've had since 96. I will be doing it as cheaply as possible. Bet it still climbs like a mountain goat!

Sallar55

Veteran
as the owner of a brompton with Chris king headset ,hope bottom bracket and cranks etc.I can tell you expensive is definitely not better. It's all in the head.
I have owned real bikes that cost a lot of money, and to be honest they didn't really justify their cost in my opinion.
an expensive bike won't make you a better rider.
I'm just about to restore a cannondale killer v 900 I've had since 96. I will be doing it as cheaply as possible. Bet it still climbs like a mountain goat!
Expensive components can fail but its usually the frame not being properly made and a lack of quality control. This is highlighted in the BB and headset, if correctly done these 2 components will have a long life.😄

simongt

Guru
One of my three favorite bikes, ( but then, I only have three - ! :rofl: ) although they're all my favorite bikes as they serve different purposes and they being fit for their particular purpose, is my 41 year old Dawes Fox. Cost me nothing to aquire although I did get it upgraded and it's a joy to ride thus ^_^represents great value to me. :okay:

Top Bottom