Expensive doesn't mean better.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't really say what my most expensive bike is because are we talking about how much we paid for it or how much the same bike would be now - x years later ?

My fastest bike is great to ride - CF and light - but with a max tyre of 25mm.

My favourite bike is the gravel bike - heavier and slower but it can go off-road if need be and the wide tyres let you roll through potholes without worries.

Last club ride I did we all stopped because a woman's DI2 battery had died and she had to turn around. I've had one rear shifter cable break in 30 years of cycling (about 200,000 miles). Mechanical is more reliable. Marketing is BS. We probably only have it because marketing execs have convinced CEOs that it works.

Blimey that's some club there sticking together. My old club wouldn't change the plan because of a mechanical. 👍

The items raised seems to point to setup and type of accessories. Same brand but different geometry - endurance is more comfortable than race. Same brand but one has wider tyres etc.

So if you bought a more expensive bike that is inherently wrong to meet your needs its value drops for the buyer.

Though marketing does raise the price, in the main a more expensive bike is expected to carry better components. Exceptions are always there.

Jameshow

Veteran
My most expensive bike turned out to be an expensive disaster - ended up selling an £1800 frame for just over £100 !

How come?!

mustang1

Legendary Member
So the posters who use their Allez's as winter bikes, are they pre carbon front fork or if they are carbon front fork are you using P Clips for the front mudguard.

NB. I am obviously making the massive assumption that your Allez's are the same as mine...eyelets on the rear triangle but not on the front fork.

My Allez was carbon fork, aluminium frame. I cannot recall if I even used mudguards back in those days but if I did, they would have been clip-on sks raceblades.

How come?!

it creaked from day 1 - then it cracked which I was told was only paint (non warranty !!!!!!) - repaired at my own expense - then it cracked again in the same place.

Kuota wouldn't help at all - It came down to either taking them to court - or cutting my losses - I chose the latter.

The only upside is the frame I purchased as a replacement (Dolan) is an absolute joy - best carbon bike I've owned

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cracked frames not repaired under warranty aside.......I think if you've got an expensive bike you don't like, you didn't do your research / sizing / testing very well before buying it.

It is also true that a cheap 2nd hand bargain can also work out much better than expected

Top Bottom