Expensive doesn't mean better.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
Cracked frames not repaired under warranty aside.......I think if you've got an expensive bike you don't like, you didn't do your research / sizing / testing very well before buying it.

It is also true that a cheap 2nd hand bargain can also work out much better than expected

That's the power of marketing. It's designed to make you want stuff you don't like/need

Alex321

Veteran
But Di2 is better and more expensive than mechanical shifting. Right?

Everybody I know of who has tried it thinks so.

I do think the thread title is missing an "always". Usually, more expensive does tend to mean better in some way.

But whether it is better for any particular individual depends on what they want or need from the product. A top end racing bike is going to be better than a cheap bike for a pro racer.

But the same bike would not be better for somebody who wants a robust bike for riding the local muddy/rocky byways.

So yeah, expensive doesn't always mean better. But it often does.

That's the power of marketing. It's designed to make you want stuff you don't like/need

Carbon frame - 105 - who 'needs' more than that.

Personally cycling keeps my head straight - my weight under control, - therefore I can justify throw a little (or maybe a lot,) more than I need to spend.

It's only a waste if it sits in your garage gathering dust.

ExBrit

Über Member
The problem is that "expensive" is objective but "better" is subjective. Actually, come to think of it, "expensive" is subjective too but "more expensive" is objective. Some people might think a $1000 bicycle is expensive but we can all agree that a $2000 bike is more expensive. That's probably all we can agree on.

Reactions: C R

Jameshow

Veteran
Carbon frame - 105 - who 'needs' more than that.

Personally cycling keeps my head straight - my weight under control, - therefore I can justify throw a little (or maybe a lot,) more than I need to spend.

It's only a waste if it sits in your garage gathering dust.

Yeap I think 105 is the sweat spot above that I think you pay for weight saving more than anything?!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Yeap I think 105 is the sweat spot above that I think you pay for weight saving more than anything?!

Yeah but can you hang four panniers on it and go shopping?

Top Bottom