Expensive jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
So, I muscled through last winter with Sportful bib tights, thermal jersey, any base layer from my running or skiing kit I could find and a dhb neck thingy.

The Boardman rain jacket looked good but was a disaster is overheating and sweat.

Reading some of the threads here, and a few GCN videos it seems the way forward is;

1. An expensive breathable jacket
2. An expensive baselayer
3. Padless windstopper bib tights over existing bib tights

So I'm looking at Castelli Alpha, that and the 7xAir are rated to zero Celsius.

Ignoring cost (and feet and hands) for a moment, are they actually going to work in terms of breathability and wicking?

I imagine most skinny cyclists aren't as exothermic and "glowing" as I am. I'm no racing snake but I'm moving when I ride.

jay clock

Massive member
I am happy to splash the cash when needed but I have just bought a 40 quid jacket from Decathlon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-warm-cycling-jacket-black-orange-id_8369395.html which is excellent for wind proof and winter rides. Short sleeve merino base layer down to about 3 degrees and fine below that with long sleeve merino. Not waterproof though. For that I have an Endura Helium

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I wear an expensive, breathable jacket from Gore Bike Wear, but bought cheap on eBay. Works brilliantly at this time of year and windproof too.
Cheap baselayer, Halfords own brand long sleeved lightweight jersey 'Ridge', works well as a wicking layer.
Wiggle DHB windproof tights work well too, with a reasonable pad and not too pricey. Feels very weird though, having some bits windproofed and others not, though from a male perspective quite nice....
When on a decent ride I drop the base layer and work harder...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A decent base layer, yes.

Otherwise the jacket / bib longs are personal choice. I've a Nalini one, which is just below Castelli in the price range, plus some RH bib longs that were great.

You don't need the latest expensive stuff!

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I have re-read that and have never heard of anyone needing to wear two pairs of bib tights in anything above about minus 25C. One pair is fine
It was a novel I dea to me too, but makes sense. I've never arrived after two hours below 5C with warm thighs, so sounds good to me.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Haha - just looked up my "thermal" Sportful jersey. Even Sportful don't rate it!

IMG_7376.PNG

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Are you normally a heavy sweater, and does this get the sweat off you?
Hmm, not sure if I'm a heavy sweater to be honest. If it helps I normally have a rather damp base layer after a quick ride, but have yet to get the boil in the bag effect with the Gore WIndstopper that I do with the £20 Decathlon waterproof one.

mattobrien

Guru
I have a Castelli Alpha jacket and like it, so much so I have two of them. If you wait until after Christmas and by that I mean probably literally just after Christmas, I expect they will be on fairly heavy discount from Wiggle et al.

The other jacket I have is a Castelli Espresso, probably not quite as race / close fit as the Alpha, but a good jacket nonetheless.

Baselayer, I wear a merino - Icebreaker Oasis, I have four of them, two crewe neck and two higher neck with 1/2 zip.

I was wearing the Espresso and Oasis last night and the Garmin read -3.7c, we were not going fast not not generating much heat, but I wan't cold.

For colder days <5c I wear Castelli Sorpasso windproof bibs. The only way cold weather with stop me riding is down to ice, as the clothes will keep me warm enough.

I would like some new bib tights as mine are getting to the well used point, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger this side of Christmas on a new pair. I'll wait until the sales...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Like much in cucling it depends what yoi need the jacket to do.
My Paramo Velez light smock is an expensive piece of kit BUT if you going to be out a very long time day or night in grim or variable conditions winter or summer it's worth every penny. No doubt.
I'm not riding at warp speed so a little bagginess is OK.
Outer Hebrides in the summer it was a godsend when miles from any kind of civilisation. 40 mile club run aroumd Oxfordshire is somewhat less critical and a reasonably basic jacket would suffice.

Top Bottom