1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expensive jackets

Discussion in 'Clothing, Helmets and Shoes' started by Tin Pot, 28 Nov 2016.

1. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

I think I'm settling in that approach, I'll be lucky to get in three days riding before Christmas even though that's 12hrs, I survived last year.

I'm thinking the Espresso is looser, and with my waistline I'll go for that if it's discounted. Otherwise an Alpha, or a Sportful Gruppetto Partial or Fiandre WS.

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Regular

If you're willing to pay for it, you won't get much better than the Alpha or indeed a Sportful (or perhaps a Craft?). But like others stated, less expensive brands can also perform just fine. Endura has good kit, for example their Equipe Thermo jacket. I think that the advantage of a good jacket indeed is that it does keep you from getting too sticky, which is a bit harder to manager with more layers.

3. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

My Paramo Cuzco is an old zip up version of the smock. I use it from Oct-April as an all-weather jacket. I have taken it touring when foul weathdr is expected, inc days of cold rain in Norway.It is now so worn out, even Paramo sevice can't make it look respectable so I'm relegating it to garden duties and looking for a new one. The veldez jacket seems closest but has patches of lightweight material and the pockets are buried inside the vent zips, so on bike access seems a pita. I dont like the hood for cyclin, the ,Cuzco collar is high and very cosy. Paramo just won't make a sensible midweight short jacket.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Regular

That's where my gloves tend to go after they retire..

5. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

Tin Pot likes this.
  6. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Regular

Yes, these Isadore's look very nice indeed.

7. Liz Su

Liz Su Senior Member

The Paramo velez light is the best all rounder for all outdoors activities I've found. Get one off Ebay as new they are £225.00. I paid £120.00 for mine as it was a cosmetic second.

8. andrew_s

andrew_s Veteran

Tin Pot likes this.
  9. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Any sign of a bargain Alpha Jacket yet?

Best I've seen is £175...

10. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Update.

In the end I spent £170 on:

Base: Castelli Espresso LS
    Mid: Puro 2 Jersey
    Outer: Fawesome 2 Gillet

I thought I'd gamble that this would do me in winter and give me options in the other three seasons rather than a single bad winter jacket.

Just done 2.5hrs in 2°C up and down the hills and I've felt fine. Unzipped on the climbs, no frozen chest and arms on the descents.

So it a thumbs up from me so far.

stumpy66 and Fab Foodie like this.
  11. 3narf

3narf For whom the bell dings

Ever noticed how, when other riders fail to acknowledge a nod or a 'morning,' they are invariably wearing a Castelli jacket? :laugh:

12. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

I'll take that as carte blanche to be an peanut - cheers :smile:

3narf likes this.
  13. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

14. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

But thanks for remembering. :smile:

15. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

No worries, but you can never have too much stuff ;)