Expensive jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I have a Castelli Alpha jacket and like it, so much so I have two of them. If you wait until after Christmas and by that I mean probably literally just after Christmas, I expect they will be on fairly heavy discount from Wiggle et al.

The other jacket I have is a Castelli Espresso, probably not quite as race / close fit as the Alpha, but a good jacket nonetheless.

Baselayer, I wear a merino - Icebreaker Oasis, I have four of them, two crewe neck and two higher neck with 1/2 zip.

I was wearing the Espresso and Oasis last night and the Garmin read -3.7c, we were not going fast not not generating much heat, but I wan't cold.

For colder days <5c I wear Castelli Sorpasso windproof bibs. The only way cold weather with stop me riding is down to ice, as the clothes will keep me warm enough.

I would like some new bib tights as mine are getting to the well used point, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger this side of Christmas on a new pair. I'll wait until the sales...

I think I'm settling in that approach, I'll be lucky to get in three days riding before Christmas even though that's 12hrs, I survived last year.

I'm thinking the Espresso is looser, and with my waistline I'll go for that if it's discounted. Otherwise an Alpha, or a Sportful Gruppetto Partial or Fiandre WS.

AnthonyC

Regular
If you're willing to pay for it, you won't get much better than the Alpha or indeed a Sportful (or perhaps a Craft?). But like others stated, less expensive brands can also perform just fine. Endura has good kit, for example their Equipe Thermo jacket. I think that the advantage of a good jacket indeed is that it does keep you from getting too sticky, which is a bit harder to manager with more layers.

Like much in cucling it depends what yoi need the jacket to do.
My Paramo Velez light smock is an expensive piece of kit BUT if you going to be out a very long time day or night in grim or variable conditions winter or summer it's worth every penny. No doubt.
I'm not riding at warp speed so a little bagginess is OK.
Outer Hebrides in the summer it was a godsend when miles from any kind of civilisation. 40 mile club run aroumd Oxfordshire is somewhat less critical and a reasonably basic jacket would suffice.

My Paramo Cuzco is an old zip up version of the smock. I use it from Oct-April as an all-weather jacket. I have taken it touring when foul weathdr is expected, inc days of cold rain in Norway.It is now so worn out, even Paramo sevice can't make it look respectable so I'm relegating it to garden duties and looking for a new one. The veldez jacket seems closest but has patches of lightweight material and the pockets are buried inside the vent zips, so on bike access seems a pita. I dont like the hood for cyclin, the ,Cuzco collar is high and very cosy. Paramo just won't make a sensible midweight short jacket.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Update.

In the end I spent £170 on:

Base: Castelli Espresso LS
Mid: Puro 2 Jersey
Outer: Fawesome 2 Gillet

I thought I'd gamble that this would do me in winter and give me options in the other three seasons rather than a single bad winter jacket.

Just done 2.5hrs in 2°C up and down the hills and I've felt fine. Unzipped on the climbs, no frozen chest and arms on the descents.

So it a thumbs up from me so far.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Ever noticed how, when other riders fail to acknowledge a nod or a 'morning,' they are invariably wearing a Castelli jacket? :laugh:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Update.

In the end I spent £170 on:

Base: Castelli Espresso LS
Mid: Puro 2 Jersey
Outer: Fawesome 2 Gillet

I thought I'd gamble that this would do me in winter and give me options in the other three seasons rather than a single bad winter jacket.

Just done 2.5hrs in 2°C up and down the hills and I've felt fine. Unzipped on the climbs, no frozen chest and arms on the descents.

So it a thumbs up from me so far.

But thanks for remembering. :smile:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
My most recent expensive jacket was a Giro Neoshell
http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p83518/Giro-Neoshell-Rain-Waterproof-Cycling-Jacket.aspx

It was on bargain offer from Bike Nashbar - £35 instead of the £285 that Wheelies wanted :okay:
I notice that the women's version is once again on cheap sale - slightly more, at £42 (plus post and whatever other charges you get stuck with for buying foreign)
http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_595349_-1___204698

Top Bottom