Expert Needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP

53-11

In the end they managed to get hold of a welding expert from Manchester University (I think). His report doesn't pull any punches, using language like 'woefully inadequate', 'the design shows little or no understanding of load paths', and 'not fit for purpose'. CTC's Chris Juden made similar comments.

I am properly chomping on the bit to expose these beggers now.

In the end they managed to get hold of a welding expert from Manchester University (I think). His report doesn't pull any punches, using language like 'woefully inadequate', 'the design shows little or no understanding of load paths', and 'not fit for purpose'. CTC's Chris Juden made similar comments.

I am properly chomping on the bit to expose these beggers now.
Please do!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Sounds like appalling treatment from the shop, selling inferior products at a high premium and washing their hands of it. Did they pay by credit cards? Some protection will be offered there (as it cost more than £100) - worth contacting them (the credit card provider) too - I imagine a retailer selling inferior products might end up with a lot of county court judgements against them.....

P.H

Über Member
Have you done any research into whether this has been a problem for other owners or riders?
If the retailer has taken the position that the fault was caused by misuse you will need all the evidence you can muster to demonstrate otherwise. It may also be worth contacting the saddle manufacturer, they may have an opinion as to whether their product could cause this failure. Unfortunately the burden of proof does fall to the consumer after six months, I'd hope that with a bit of supporting evidence the retailer might reasonably expect you to win if it did get legal, and sort it out without the extra trouble.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I hope this works out for your inlaws. I am gobsmacked by the bullying treatment that they have received. It seems so counterproductive for companies to behave like this when they could sort it out fairly easily. They may loose one sale by doing this but they would gain so much kudos for sorting it out to your inlaws satisfaction. Compared to the damage that the bad publicity this coulsd create it seems bonkers of them to try such a low trick. Oooh this really has made me cross and I wish you and your inlaws all the absolute and very best. Good luck.

OP
OP

53-11

Latest Developments!

The engineers report was sent to the bike shop (the one with 'woefully inadequate', 'obvious poor quality' etc etc...) and they have attempted to check up on the credentials of the engineer and his company. Because they have not been able to find out much about him they decided they can ignore his comments.

Their latest letter to the in-laws describes their pathetic research and finishes with:
'On this basis we will refuse the content of this report'

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

e-rider

crappy member
I suspect that unless you take this to court you might not get very far, and then there is always the chance of not winning the case. The bike shop will have to take a £4650 hit, and if they are not confident about getting that back from the manufacturer I doubt they will change their mind any time soon.

I don't know the frame material/hinge type but you could investigate getting it repaired unless the failure was catastrophic with loads of damage? A new frame and transfer the component parts?

I see that MSG Bikes in Lancing sell BERNDS folding tandems - have you spoken to them about it?

02GF74

Über Member
are you able to post photo of this bike? are you - or rather the shop/manufacture - saying that a suspension seatpost has broken a part of the bike frame????? :ohmy:

OP
OP

53-11

I will ask the in-laws about photos.

No, not a seat-post. The manufacturer is claiming that because the in-laws fitted a bigger saddle (one that is marketed as a suspension saddle but actually provides no suspension in reality - i.e less than 1mm compression with 17 stones sat directly on it) they have broken the terms of the warranty and contributed to the failure of the front hinge. Despite the hinge being about as far from the saddle as you can get. Despite the in-laws being small elderly (75+) people who ride very slowly. Despite there being not a shred of logic behind the claim that a second suspension system could (even if it were fitted) interfere destructively with the rear suspension system to over-stress a component nowhere near either. Despite the fact that several engineers have looked at the failed weld and declared it 'cold lapped' in a vital area. Despite the fact that same engineers have declared the design, even if it were implemented correctly as 'hopelessly inadequate'.

It seems to me that the retailer knows and understands all this but is unwilling to help because they won't get support from the manufacturer. No matter what the facts of the case are, they are not going to help because it may leave them substantially out of pocket. They would prefer that my ageing in-laws were out of pocket than they were. I'm finding it hard to describe just what I think of them.

The truth is that the in-laws were lucky they weren't very badly hurt when the hinge failed. That's the silver lining behind all this.

And this is for a bike that cost £4650 and was way less than 12 months old.

02GF74

Über Member
do the terms of the warranty really state you cannot fit a different saddle??

i think your recourse is to start as claim in the small claims court - you have statements from qualified people to support bad design and bad assembly (welding) so have a pretty good case IMO.

Lanzecki

Über Member
I'd be interested in pictures. If you get no joy with the LBS a good welder should be able to effect a good stong repair. A good weld should be stronger then the surrounding metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom