Expert opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Have look at the photos and tell me how the head tube came to be dented
P1010482.jpg
P1010483.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
It probably got bumped quite hard by something else.

Nibor

Bewildered
Looks like it is just the headset cup so it is replaceable could be over zealous fitting that has caused it I always use a bit of drift if fitting headset cups with brute force.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The frame is aluminum. What do you mean by over zealous fitting Nibor? Would dropping it do that?
It does look like it's been dropped to cause that damage.
Basically does the black bit come out of the frame, if so you need a new one.

S-Express

There is no removable cup - it's an integrated headset, or it appears to be. If it has been dropped, then it's been dropped before being painted, else there would be superficial paint damage. (The paint damage on top is not where the impact came from). If the bearing fits in, then it's good to build up. If it doesn't, then it should go back.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
In a semi integrated headset it should take no force at all, the bearing should just slip in. The damage is on the outside, and looks square edge, so I guess it's been dropped.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There is no removable cup - it's an integrated headset, or it appears to be. If it has been dropped, then it's been dropped before being painted, else there would be superficial paint damage. (The paint damage on top is not where the impact came from). If the bearing fits in, then it's good to build up. If it doesn't, then it should go back.
If it's been dropped whilst wrapped (bubble wrap or similar) it would protect the paint but not the aluminium.
Don't try knocking the dent out but if you know someone who is good with a dremel or better still a 2 stroke engine tuner who can 'port' cylinders (and more importantly has the tool to do it) then you could gently grind that section back to round but be very careful not to grind anywhere else apart from where the 'ding' is.

This is a porting tool and the guys that use them correctly can work to 0.25 of a millimetre.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Best bet is to dremmel the flattened section so the bearing sits in OK. This is provided it's not a new frame.

Most likely dropped or pranged some how !

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I wouldn't ride that. The material will work harden if you try to bend it back and if you dremmel it, it'll reduce the wall thickness and the paint looks like it's cracked indicating a fair old whack.

Tbh the force needed to do kinda damage may have even caused further damage else where on the frame, like twisting if the force came from behind. For example, being pushed about in the back of a van by other stuff.

Top Bottom