Expert opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User269

Please - this is very serious and as funny as that Cluedo joke is I would really appreciate some help.
Some help with what?
How do things get dented?
If it's a new part, send it back.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
The shop says that the only way this damage could have been caused is by me trying to get the bearing in by whacking it. They will not countenance any other possibility and so will not agree to a return, they reached this conclusion from the same two photographs.As I didn't do this but have met with stern resistance from them what should I do? Is it possible to cause this type of damage that they say is a textbook example of hitting it?

S-Express

Probably worth outlining exactly what the frame is and where it was ordered from (assuming it may be from velodrome shop, given the other thread).

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
It's a Dedacciai Super Track frame so not Mickey Mouse stuff and is beautiful frame apart from the ding on the head tube that looks like it happened due to the frame being loose in the box. At first I thought it was a manufacturing error because there is no cracked paint around that point. Of course they all circled the wagons at this suggestion but I am able to demonstrate where the head tube came through the box and the 'no cracked paint' theory is due to it being wrapped in bubble wrap. I have sent pictures and explanations to Velodrome Shop but they insist the I damaged the frame therefore end of story.

S-Express

Corresponding box damage is the clincher there, I think. I don't understand why they're being so difficult. You send it back, they refund you, they return the frame to the Deda importer, then they also get refunded. Those frames are not cheap, as you say.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you've been on to the 'shop' and they've seen the pics then you are in a very weak position, I (for one) would have returned it as 'damaged in transit' the only chance I can see is if you can demand a refund from a credit card company and return it. Failing that you're stuck with bodging it by grinding the inside to give clearance for the headset bearing.
Do Not follow @Yellow Saddle s advice and belt it back out, it is aluminium and will weaken/crack under that kind of stress......................As for his advice of having a beer and going for a ride I thought the guy had more integrity than that. :cursing:

I don't know where I missed the bit that says it is a new frame just delivered. Had I known that, the source of the dent would have been obvious - a drop. However, without that information the source is a mystery.

If it is a new frame, the solution is obvious - return it.

If it is an existing frame and the only choice is to bin it or make it work, I say make it work. The dent will NOT cause weakness in the frame and even if it does, the zone is so small that there is no chance of any catastrophic failure. I challenge anyone to describe such failure.

Work hardening of aluminium happens with the first bend, not the second. In other words, it has already hardened. That only poses a problem for removing the dent, not for the frame's integrity. Even should you remove the entire bent piece would the frame still function perfectly.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above..
my £ 3799 commencal bike which i paid £1800 for in CRC sale arrived with the rear mech through the box.
i had to straighten it and re do the internal gear cable as that was kinked at the mech so the gears wouldn't change. Pita that was..
i could have returned it but i couldn't be arsed..that's just me though..

I'd just get a new bottom cup and tell em their tossers..and you will let others know via all the cycle forums you use..

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
No meta Ion you may tell from a previous post that I am not trying to damage the company's name just to get some human response that is not all about covering their ass and avoiding any attempt to address the problem because this is not in the interest of anyway forward. The frame has a dent that prevents installation of the headset. So how do we resolve this problem, is my question. I paid a lot of money for this frame in good faith expecting to receive what they said they would supply and jumped through a number of hoops before we got to this. Is it too much to expect?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It's a Dedacciai Super Track frame so not Mickey Mouse stuff and is beautiful frame apart from the ding on the head tube that looks like it happened due to the frame being loose in the box. At first I thought it was a manufacturing error because there is no cracked paint around that point. Of course they all circled the wagons at this suggestion but I am able to demonstrate where the head tube came through the box and the 'no cracked paint' theory is due to it being wrapped in bubble wrap. I have sent pictures and explanations to Velodrome Shop but they insist the I damaged the frame therefore end of story.

As above..
my £ 3799 commencal bike which i paid £1800 for in CRC sale arrived with the rear mech through the box.
i had to straighten it and re do the internal gear cable as that was kinked at the mech so the gears wouldn't change. Pita that was..
i could have returned it but i couldn't be arsed..that's just me though..

I'd just get a new bottom cup and tell em their tossers..and you will let others know via all the cycle forums you use..

You have your proof in the damage to the cycle box and the consequent damage to your frame, i would contact the frame supplier again stating you have the required proof that the damage occurred whilst the frame was boxed and if you do not get a replacement or full refund you WILL go down the route of small claims court and go on every cycle forum on the net to broadcast how bad your suppliers service has been. Business' do not like bad publicity and they are only too aware that people buy a lot of products based on internet research, go for it , give them hell!!

You have your proof in the damage to the cycle box and the consequent damage to your frame, i would contact the frame supplier again stating you have the required proof that the damage occurred whilst the frame was boxed and if you do not get a replacement or full refund you WILL go down the route of small claims court and go on every cycle forum on the net to broadcast how bad your suppliers service has been. Business' do not like bad publicity and they are only too aware that people buy a lot of products based on internet research, go for it , give them hell!!

Do they have a small claims court in Quebec?

BB

Top Bottom