Extreme cycle commuting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm not in Canada or Scandinavia, it's only a few inches of snow!
Still, there will not be any public transport from my area tomorrow, or it will be very limited.
Scotland Police put an alert on social media .... panic! Don't travel if the journey is not essential!
Well, I work weekends and I've got to go to work. I don't have a car, if taxis manage the roads they will charge a fortune.
So, when the weather is going to be like this:
IMG_20180119_160948803.jpg
I prepped the snow bike with spiked tyres!
The poor thing was a bit rusty, did not use it for a couple of years, gave it a good clean, fixed a flat, panniers, plenty of new lights.
Of the 5 gears only 3 work, but just 2 are plenty for the commute!
I have cycled in deep snow on those tyres before, they are great.
Lots of rust:
IMG_20180119_115338273.jpg IMG_20180119_115358164.jpg
On the stand, let's get this done
IMG_20180119_200039965.jpg
Clean, lubed, ready to go, bar unexpected mechanicals :laugh:
IMG_20180119_205347953.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180119_160948803.jpg
    IMG_20180119_160948803.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 74
Panicky nonsense, there was a "don't travel, you'll die" warning today for almost the entire route home for me tonight, issued for between 3pm and 10pm. I left work at 5pm and got home at 7.30pm, the same time as it takes me every Friday when I return home.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Panicky nonsense, there was a "don't travel, you'll die" warning today for almost the entire route home for me tonight, issued for between 3pm and 10pm. I left work at 5pm and got home at 7.30pm, the same time as it takes me every Friday when I return home.
You travel in a flat area? Here they abandon cars at the bottom of hills, buses stop too, trains don't stop lol - same every time!

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
My street is on the top of a hill so getting in and out can be dodgy when snow/ice is present. We don't get that bad a weather to be fair in Doncaster and my commute once out of the village is a fairly flat one. Even when it's in the minus and we get a bit of snow (not even an inch here!) I prefer to use my bike instead of the car anyway. I'm lucky that I don't experience as bad a weather compared to other parts of the country so it could be a different story then!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They do seem to go overboard with the don't-travel warnings. The one this decade that was accurate, I didn't take it seriously, left the car in the downhill car park and couldn't move it up to the gritted road for days. That was a fun week walking everywhere!

classic33

Leg End Member
You travel in a flat area? Here they abandon cars at the bottom of hills, buses stop too, trains don't stop lol - same every time!
Same here. A few inches of snow, or it starts sticking, and it's blind panic with nose to tail traffic getting no-where fast. Then someone on a bike comes sailing past their vehicle.

There's the odd genuine reason for abandoning their car though.
CAM00768-1.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
My street is on the top of a hill so getting in and out can be dodgy when snow/ice is present. We don't get that bad a weather to be fair in Doncaster and my commute once out of the village is a fairly flat one. Even when it's in the minus and we get a bit of snow (not even an inch here!) I prefer to use my bike instead of the car anyway. I'm lucky that I don't experience as bad a weather compared to other parts of the country so it could be a different story then!
Legally part of Scotland!

Slick

Guru
They do seem to go overboard with the don't-travel warnings. The one this decade that was accurate, I didn't take it seriously, left the car in the downhill car park and couldn't move it up to the gritted road for days. That was a fun week walking everywhere!
That's the danger, it's the boy who cried wolf. I ignored the forecast for more snow, and shovelled the snow off the drive and paths. Within an hour it snowed, covering everything to almost the same extent. I've already decided tomorrow's forecast for more snow must be wrong, so I'm clearing my drive again this morning.

Top Bottom