1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme cycle commuting!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Pat "5mph", 19 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Back on topic :whistle: this morning's commute was ok, well, on a Sunday at the back of 6am there's hope for the maniac drivers to still be in their bed.
    I even got a personal best ... on the tractor ... stuck in one gear! :becool:
    While I was at work, there was a heavy snow storm, followed by rain.
    The temperature went up to a couple of degrees above zero: result, by the time I was getting ready to ride back, the roads were a sea of semi frozen slush.
    Some drivers really don't care if a cyclist needs to keep to the clear bits of road, in case of hidden potholes!
    Me too, it has to be said, I did not behave impeccably, I'm afraid I skipped a red pedestrian light: it was uphill, I would have blocked traffic trying to start up again :sweat:
    The pedestrian was still far away though.
    Anyway, I made it home in one piece, the bike was shedding icicles, had to spend ages drying and lubing.
    Forecast is an overnight defrosting, so back to my segregated route tomorrow, still on the tractor just in case of iffy stretches.
    Hopefully, that will be the last time till next winter.
    I love cycling in the snow for fun, but needing to be at work on time, in one piece, while the cars are sliding, does get a bit stressful!

2. Slick

Slick Über Member

I reckon my only chance of getting to work tomorrow is by bike. No ice tyres though, so might have to just shut my eyes from time to time. :eek:

classic33 and Pat "5mph" like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Pat "5mph"

If you start at 9 you'll be fine, ice should be gone according to the Met app.
    I start at 7.30 :B)

Slick likes this.
  4. Slick

Slick Über Member

I usually like to be there for 7 but as the snow started to melt off the upper roof it fell and smashed the conservatory roof so I've got the builders in first thing tomorrow. Main roads are mostly fine, it's getting to them that's the problem.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Pat "5mph"

Yes, for the ones that have to get a bus or a train it's difficult too.
    I've got colleagues that had to walk miles in the snow to get to a road passable by public transport.

classic33 and Slick like this.
  6. Slick

Slick Über Member

Bike it is then. :thumbsup:

7. I started at 5am this morning and that is after my 20km commute in the snow on my bike. I was boiling.

I am now sat with a couple of coffees inside me and I am glowing. ^_^

Im just hoping the snow stops and the sun comes out to clear the snow away a bit. I have a 50km ride planned for my trip home at 13.30.

Pat "5mph" and Slick like this.
  8. How old do you need to be, not to shovel snow?

I am 60 in May and have just sent my application in for the Transcontinental. I was thinking that this would be my last chance. Then I saw a guy who has entered for the North Cape 4000 is 70 this year and so now I have 9 more chances at applying. ^_^

Your never too old to do stuff.

Pat "5mph", Elysian_Roads and mjr like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Pat "5mph"

I don't know how it was your way, but this morning at 6 here it was still icy on the paths.
    I took to the main road again, tractor and all :laugh:
    The NCN to Rutherglen is on shared pavements from Shawfield, some parts had ice still at 6pm, no wonder, they haven't been gritted for weeks.
    Prepped the normal commuter for tomorrow, I've been arriving at work a sweaty mess on the tractor :blush: :girl:

gaijintendo and classic33 like this.
  10. Slick

Slick Über Member

It was the same here, although you could see the thaw has started.

I'm glad you've prepped the trusted steed for tomorrow, because nobody limes a sweaty mess. :laugh::thumbsup:

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  11. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

They use lemons or oranges?

Slick and Pat "5mph" like this.
  12. Slick

Slick Über Member

Bloody autocorrect always goes for limes instead of limes.:laugh:

classic33 and Pat "5mph" like this.
  13. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Eyes wide open at all times, people may think you're asleep!

Slick likes this.