Extreme cycle commuting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hey Drago, delivery from B&Q!

1_123125_2266658_2279933_2283460_110201_customer_snowshovelillo_tn.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, it turned out that my mini tractor was not needed, the ordinary marathon winters would have been sufficient.
The main roads were clear of snow and gritted, I stayed om them. There was some ice, of course, also the side streets, the cycling paths and the pavements are by now iced up with several layers.
My major challenge was exiting my estate: on Thursday I did grit myself a way out, but this morning it was treacherous again.
I'm taking the tractor again tomorrow, snow is forecast for my finishing time, but I'm gonna put some more air in, I was bouncing on the tarmac, slow like a week in jail, got myself two close passes and this time I sympathize with the impatient drivers :rolleyes::snowball::bicycle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, it turned out that my mini tractor was not needed, the ordinary marathon winters would have been sufficient.
The main roads were clear of snow and gritted, I stayed om them. There was some ice, of course, also the side streets, the cycling paths and the pavements are by now iced up with several layers.
My major challenge was exiting my estate: on Thursday I did grit myself a way out, but this morning it was treacherous again.
I'm taking the tractor again tomorrow, snow is forecast for my finishing time, but I'm gonna put some more air in, I was bouncing on the tarmac, slow like a week in jail, got myself two close passes and this time I sympathize with the impatient drivers :rolleyes::snowball::bicycle:
You had fun, that's the main thing.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5122113, member: 9609"]so do you just open the window and bunny hop into action ?
impressive stuff if you're on the third floor[/QUOTE]
Anyway, to answer the above. Did you and were you?

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Back on topic :whistle: this morning's commute was ok, well, on a Sunday at the back of 6am there's hope for the maniac drivers to still be in their bed.
I even got a personal best ... on the tractor ... stuck in one gear! :becool:
While I was at work, there was a heavy snow storm, followed by rain.
The temperature went up to a couple of degrees above zero: result, by the time I was getting ready to ride back, the roads were a sea of semi frozen slush.
Some drivers really don't care if a cyclist needs to keep to the clear bits of road, in case of hidden potholes!
Me too, it has to be said, I did not behave impeccably, I'm afraid I skipped a red pedestrian light: it was uphill, I would have blocked traffic trying to start up again :sweat:
The pedestrian was still far away though.
Anyway, I made it home in one piece, the bike was shedding icicles, had to spend ages drying and lubing.
Forecast is an overnight defrosting, so back to my segregated route tomorrow, still on the tractor just in case of iffy stretches.
Hopefully, that will be the last time till next winter.
I love cycling in the snow for fun, but needing to be at work on time, in one piece, while the cars are sliding, does get a bit stressful!

Slick

Guru
Back on topic :whistle: this morning's commute was ok, well, on a Sunday at the back of 6am there's hope for the maniac drivers to still be in their bed.
I even got a personal best ... on the tractor ... stuck in one gear! :becool:
While I was at work, there was a heavy snow storm, followed by rain.
The temperature went up to a couple of degrees above zero: result, by the time I was getting ready to ride back, the roads were a sea of semi frozen slush.
Some drivers really don't care if a cyclist needs to keep to the clear bits of road, in case of hidden potholes!
Me too, it has to be said, I did not behave impeccably, I'm afraid I skipped a red pedestrian light: it was uphill, I would have blocked traffic trying to start up again :sweat:
The pedestrian was still far away though.
Anyway, I made it home in one piece, the bike was shedding icicles, had to spend ages drying and lubing.
Forecast is an overnight defrosting, so back to my segregated route tomorrow, still on the tractor just in case of iffy stretches.
Hopefully, that will be the last time till next winter.
I love cycling in the snow for fun, but needing to be at work on time, in one piece, while the cars are sliding, does get a bit stressful!
I reckon my only chance of getting to work tomorrow is by bike. No ice tyres though, so might have to just shut my eyes from time to time. :eek:

Top Bottom