Face masks on public transport.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I've been travelling back and forth between two countries by train the past couple of weeks. Both countries require compulsory mask wearing which is a bit odd since the trains have been essentially deserted.

Landsurfer

Veteran
We have decided we will just wear our motorcycle neck warmers, or "buffs" as some call them, if we ever travel by public transport ( x11 in the last 10 years) but always with wraparound sunglasses to look as menacing as possible ....^_^

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Sadly this is what happens with poor staff training. The law makes it clear under 11 are not required to use them.
In fact official public advice for anyone is not to use them on anyone under 3.
It also list's other valid examples and has been pointed out you do not need to prove it the driver. Not just medical carers or traveling with someone who relies on lipreading are on the list too.On top of which it turns out yes it's the law but only a police officer can really enforce it once on the bus. If they call them out our local force has informed bus companies it has no intention of responding.

So, in summary, a pointless exercise.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Recent Review

"Medical or surgical face masks might result in a large reduction in virus infection; N95 respirators might be associated with a larger reduction in risk compared with surgical or similar masks"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

The Lancet! Is it safe to click?

I think the most angst about wearing or not wearing one has come from the disabled community. Those that need to travel but struggle with breathing etc. are taking a risk in that they're more likely to struggle if they catch it, so they must do some sort of calculation in their heads about need vs risk.

The biggest concern I've seen from them is more about being challenged by other passengers and having to explain their condition etc. Easier to challenge someone who looks slightly weaker than the 6ft bloke built like the proverbial out house, who looks like he can't be arsed.

The only people who can enforce the fines are the Police. Transport operators are loathed to suggest to staff they should play an active role in compliance as they don't want them to go out on strike.

Before all this I commuted 4 hours a day by train (in total) and don't feel remotely confident about returning. Face masks or not, as some of my fellow commuters lack any thought whatsoever for fellow passengers and I can only see it getting worse. Shame I can't cycle all the way.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
A study by the Uni of Hong Kong last month concluded that masks reduce infection risks from 66% to 16%. The evidence is in HK’s very low infection and mortality rate. We’ve now gone 16 days with no local transmission and any infections recently have been imported, especially from the petri dish called Pakistan.

Just to nuance that a bit. The study was carried out on hamsters, was carried out using surgical masks and the hamsters didn't wear a mask (surgical masks were used as dividers between the experimental cages).

That's so far as I can tell. But in true covid-style science, the results were announced prior to publication of a peer reviewed article.

I am not at all sure how the 66% to 16% numbers would map onto a real world (sic) situation.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Check this out
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ulsory-in-public-says-virus-expert-peter-piot

Also I've seen an article copied from "Science" which indicates that the face mask wearing far eastern countries have done well in minimising transmission/cases/deaths. Can't link to that article as it is subscription only I think. Please take my honest word I've summarised correctly.

So yes - compulsory facemasks for all (unless medically exempt) in public places.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Check this out
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ulsory-in-public-says-virus-expert-peter-piot

Also I've seen an article copied from "Science" which indicates that the face mask wearing far eastern countries have done well in minimising transmission/cases/deaths. Can't link to that article as it is subscription only I think. Please take my honest word I've summarised correctly.

So yes - compulsory facemasks for all (unless medically exempt) in public places.
Compulsory facemarks ... compulsory vaccination, compulsory curfews, .... Compulsory ... It's not the British way ......

Top Bottom