FaceBook is broken.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

I'm not a Facebookist either. Our band has a Facebook page, but Mrs D does all that stuff - I've never even seen it.
I'd be checking how she promotes you though - just so's no punters are ever disappointed as you hit the stage.

Many of us don’t dispute the utility of FB for many. It’s just all the other surveillance stuff FB do. That we object to.

It is sad when you hear that people only stay in touch via FB. FB or nothing.
I knew some twat who started to run his bike rides as "invite only" (ha) via compulsory FB sign-up (they had run along with many other associated rides, including mine, quite happily for years via open notifications via email lists - folk then just turned up at the notified time and place) - it was quite clear to me that the sad git did this so that he could snoop around about people.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
While I was working I got to deal with some very unpleasant people, and had any of them known where I lived, who my family were, where I went, what my hobbies were, etc, it wouldn't take them very long to come round for a chat with me. Sadly, that chat would likely be through tbe medium of a sawn off shotgun, or can of petrol and a Zippo, so no way on Gods green earth was i ever starting on Facebook.

Mrs D is a Facebookist and often tells me light heartedly that such-and such is clearly on holday, as their FB lage shows them on a log flume in Florida, so if I wanted to pop round and burgle their house I should be pretty safe. Not that I would, of course, but it shows how stupendously daft people can be.

To make life simple I just don't use it,

Mrs D is a Facebookist and often tells me light heartedly that such-and such is clearly on holday, as their FB lage shows them on a log flume in Florida, so if I wanted to pop round and burgle their house I should be pretty safe. Not that I would, of course, but it shows how stupendously daft people can be.
I seem to recall that someone set up an app or small prog that trawled various social media platforms to flag when folks were away - he did this as a public spirited warning I think.
I did know someone who posted the mobile number of someone rather well known on their FB page.
And another bloke who was having an affair but concerned about what this might do to his relationship with his beloved daughter.
His daughter was a FB friend.
But so was his mistress.

Drago

Legendary Member
You might want to look on here, and go look at Facebook for a bit, then write a 10,000 word essay on how the site and the users are different in every way, and not remotely comparable for either culture or patterns of usage. Extra credit if you can get the words "Professor Brian Cox" in there.

Facebook will gather large amounts of data on you as it is without you further aiding them.

INdeed: We can't use Wattsapp at work because it is so insecure just using it would be a breach of our client confidentiality.

Some people seem to live on here. So no different.
I like to think there is a big difference between cyclechat and FB with regard to behind-the-scenes tech gubbins collecting and sharing of data about us. If I have been living in a fool's paradise, folk feel free to enlighten me.

(and by the by, whenever I am "away" I tend not to say so or indicate it on here or anywhere else)

purpan

i use Facebook a bit but it’s really now just a network for old farts like me. A Darby and Joan club for the digital age.

Many of us don’t dispute the utility of FB for many. It’s just all the other surveillance stuff FB do. That we object to.

It is sad when you hear that people only stay in touch via FB. FB or nothing.

exactly this

I used to have Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram up to 2 years ago, then one day I thought to myself “why?!” and removed any product of Facebook.

Been happier and more productive ever since. Some of it was mildly useful but generally it was utter bilge.

exactly this

I used to have Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram up to 2 years ago, then one day I thought to myself “why?!” and removed any product of Facebook.

Been happier and more productive ever since. Some of it was mildly useful but generally it was utter bilge.

I use the Evil WhatsApp to keep in tough with the various offspring who are scattered around the country, and Beautiful Daughter and Wife on a evening. I tried to get them to move to the marginally less evil Signal but they weren't interested. I never got the hang of Facebook or Instagram due to a lack of Patience with technological things.

Top Bottom