Fair weather cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Get out and practice those control skills!

Sixmile

Veteran
I don't enjoy cycling in really cold or wet weather. I don't do Strava or the like, but I do record how many miles I do each month. The averages always drop off between December and February, then pick up again. I'm still cycling though, and it really doesn't make any difference to anything.

South coast?! It's generally always a little toastier down there, no?

My leisure rides cease around the end of September and pick up around March. It's only for the fact that I try and commute all year round that I have any mileage worth talking about over the winter.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
[QUOTE 5061463, member: 9609"]I was going to come down into Northumberland for todays ride, but think I will head west insted, 90% blue sky here but very cold (-1c) the rainfall radar thing is showing a lot of rain or snow right on the coast.[/QUOTE]

Yes, unusually, it appears to concentrated along the coast. We are about 2 miles, as the crow flies, inland, and, usually, we get no snow. It is coming down harder than ever now.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Like a lot of things, it's all relative. I used to work with a woman from Newcastle who would arrive in short sleeves in what I regarded as sub-zero temperatures, and pour scorn on anyone who thought it was at all cold - because Newcastle was much colder.

Hmm... on my Friday night visits to the pub, there is a guy I chat to, on the bus, en-route. In four years, I have never seen him dressed in anything more than short sleeved shirt and trousers, regardless of the temperature.

I am a coat and muffler type, myself.

I cannot wait to get out in the snow :hyper: Absolutely love it!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Here's my winter bike >>>

winter bike.JPG

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hmm... on my Friday night visits to the pub, there is a guy I chat to, on the bus, en-route. In four years, I have never seen him dressed in anything more than short sleeved shirt and trousers, regardless of the temperature.

I am a coat and muffler type, myself.

A pal of mine was queing outside a music venue in about -10C seemingly quite happy in shorts, t shirt and sandals. All the other punters were in heavy coats and wooly hats. Even the doormen came up to look at him in amazement. He'd just returned from 2 years in Antarctica, so London at -10C was a toasty warm summer's day for him

Slick

Guru
I hate doing anything in the snow or ice, don't mind the cold but you just look like a right numpty when your thrown on your ass wondering what exactly went wrong.

Cue the clamour to insist I get an ice bike or fit spiked tyres. :surrender:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I hate doing anything in the snow or ice, don't mind the cold but you just look like a right numpty when your thrown on your ass wondering what exactly went wrong.

Cue the clamour to insist I get an ice bike or fit spiked tyres. :surrender:
Nah, it's OK. We like you looking like a numpty. Or something. ;)

Top Bottom