Falcon Explorer 12

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've got to cut a couple of shims from my cola can associated with lunch, for my seatpost on the Trek 950. 26.8? That'll be a little hard to find.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another 27 miles this morning completed .

IMG_20181216_113015798.jpg
IMG_20181216_113022367.jpg

Swapped out the original Chinese tyres for a pr of pre used 700 X 32 Schwalbe Marathons and whilst I had the wheels out I gave the hubs some grease .

IMG_20181216_124702078.jpg

Also found an aluminium can on my ride this morning to make a shim for the seat post .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Swapped out the original Chinese tyres for a pr of pre used 700 X 32 Schwalbe Marathons and whilst I had the wheels out I gave the hubs some grease .
View attachment 442746
Also found an aluminium can on my ride this morning to make a shim for the seat post .

Recycling secondhand tyres and making shims from old drinks cans is a slippery slope. You'll be checking skips soon to see if they contain anything bike shaped needing rescue. :laugh:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I’m not surprised your enjoying it, as it is a Falcon:smile:
Although maybe not as we know it Jim.

Being totally honest i never really expected to enjoy it as much as i am

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's the first time i have tried a bike of this style and well impressed

I'm somewhat surprised at that given the number of machines that seem to pass through your hands!. Although manufacturers like to consider hybrids to be a distinct genre, in reality they have a lot in common with what used to be called "lightweight tourist" bikes; namely flat-bar derailleur machines with fairly relaxed geometry, such as a Raleigh Richmond. The main differences as I see are they tended to be 5/6 speeders usually running 1 1/4" tyres whereas hybrids tend to be 10+ speeders running slightly wider tyres and often fitted with straighter, MTB style flat bars. That said, Raleigh produced a budget-spec 6-speed Pioneer.
There is no real difference in the frame design between either of my hybrid models and that of a touring/mixed use steel framed drop bar bike. The tubing diameters, chainstay lengths, top tube lengths, and general geometry are very similar. A frame design that rides well on drops should also ride well on flats - the road surfaces etc are exactly the same!

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Recalls the older models of the Specialized Sirrus hybrid, they even had braze ons on the forks for front pannier racks. All you had to do was add drop bars and you've got yourself a full on tourer. Many older hybrids adapt well to the touring lifestyle. I am currently looking for a disc brake hybrid for small coin. Just another experiment.

Top Bottom