Falcon Explorer 12

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
one of these is a Genesis Croix de Fer 30 and the bike shop told me this has a steel Reynolds frame. Would that be a good alternative to an aluminium frame/carbon forks. I went for a spin on the Croix de Fer and I was really surprised at how light the steel was. J

Personally I would not touch any modern aluminium/carbon fork bike with a bargepole. Most of them look ugly for a start, with grossly oversized tubing and forks that often look like table legs. There is nothing pleasing about the appearance of them, whereas the Genesis still looks like a proper bike..
Reynolds have been in business for over 100 years and have made high quality lightweight double-butted frame tubing since 1935, so they have well-proven products. I own six Reynolds steel frames, 2 x double-butted 531, 3 x double-butted 501, and 1 x plain-gauge 500. The average age of them is almost 30 years, and 3 of them are well-used MTB's that have probably seen some rough treatment in their time but are still as good as the day they were built - with none of the cracking that is all too common on aluminium frames that have done some mileage. Steel every time for me, and anything made properly from Reynolds tubing won't disappoint.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I going to have a look at a couple of Mixte's tomorrow one is top end 1990 ish £130 10 speed the other 1980 ish 5 speed £75 of near offer?

Are they proper mixte's ie twin sloping tubes ?

For yourself ? If so check how the reach feels as the tend to be quite short normally .

Boon 51

Veteran

Top Bottom