Falcon Mirage frame -age and BB TPI?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4196433, member: 45"]I picked this up this morning, with a view to building a SS. Is anyone able to identify it enough to be able to confirm what TPI the BB is? @biggs682?

I'll be needing to discover the headset and seatpost sizes, and axle spacings, but I have a ruler. Not sure yet whether to replicate the original colour and transfers or to just rub it down and spray it with enamel.

Thanks

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Have you got an old BB cup that you try? It might give you some idea.

Good luck with your build @User ,it has just reminded me that there is a Falcon Black Diamond in my Mother's attic.
Screaming to be put back together and restored.It was my brothers bike and has not saw the light of day for 26 years.
It's an awful colour,a kind of cerise colour,but that can be rectified easy.
I will take pictures of it shortly and post them in here if you don't mind ?
I was wanting to go more "vintage" TBH,a Holdsworth being in my thoughts for a while.
But I might just follow your lead and get cracking on the Falcon.It's a 1984 btw,and very similar in style to yours.

Good luck with your build @User ,it has just reminded me that there is a Falcon Black Diamond in my Mother's attic.
Screaming to be put back together and restored.It was my brothers bike and has not saw the light of day for 26 years.
It's an awful colour,a kind of cerise colour,but that can be rectified easy.
I will take pictures of it shortly and post them in here if you don't mind ?
I was wanting to go more "vintage" TBH,a Holdsworth being in my thoughts for a while.
But I might just follow your lead and get cracking on the Falcon.It's a 1984 btw,and very similar in style to yours.

Hello OTC.

get some pictures up before you do anything, I did something similar with the dawes frame in the profile picture but wish I hadn't now as I cant get anywhere near the original colour.

@User what did you use to strip yours down - I used a tool that fitted into a drill chuck but am thinking that I might have another go with a different technique.

[QUOTE 4215199, member: 45"]I used a variety of measures. A standard Bosch sander got most of the clear bits off. A multi-tool with a smaller sanding head did some more. Then it was a case of a Dremel with a sanding bit in (was a bit fierce though). And I bought a box of cheap Dremel brass brush heads. Went through them in no time and fired brass wire everywhere (including my forehead). Finished off the difficult areas with Nitromors.

It was a pig of a job. Next time I might just get it shot blasted.[/QUOTE]

this sounds like my last attempt at a frame - took blooming ages too.

I, like you will probably get it sand blasted to save time and effort.

cheers for taking the time to get back to me.

midlife

Guru
[QUOTE 4214934, member: 45"]Decals ordered. Primer...

IMAG1740_zpsrvqppaji.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Is that frame somehow levitating :smile:

Shaun

Hello OTC.

get some pictures up before you do anything, I did something similar with the dawes frame in the profile picture but wish I hadn't now as I cant get anywhere near the original colour.

@User what did you use to strip yours down - I used a tool that fitted into a drill chuck but am thinking that I might have another go with a different technique.

Going down this weekend,so I will take pictures as it stands.
I wont post in here though,as I'm not going to hijack @User thread.
I'll start another :thumbsup:
@User .Really good job on that.
Similar,but better than the last :becool:

Top Bottom